Paulo Dybala - Confession

Warnings: explicit sexual content, strong language

Her face turned crimson red. She stared at Paulo with wide eyes, hardly able to believe the words had slipped out of her mouth. She couldn’t even breath, danced on the edge of a panic attack. For so long she’d managed to contain herself, managed to keep her feelings under control. How had this even happened? What kind of demon possessed her that she’d said those words out loud?

She’d told her best friend that she was in love with him. Who the hell did such stupid thing? Obviously, her in the heat of the moment. The words had just babbled out of her before she could stop herself.

He’d been awful since he’d picked up a bad injury three weeks ago and it’d resulted in the biggest fight they’d ever had.

They’ve known each other since they’d been toddlers and never once they’d had a loud word between them or shove hurtful things into each other’s face until this very morning. Admittedly, the peace that had followed their friendship had mainly been rooted in her own good nature. However, it’d turned out even her patience had a limit.

When he’d shouted at her to fuck off because he didn’t need her, she’d felt like he’d slapped her across the face. Then he’d asked with venom in his voice, obviously with the only purpose to hurt her, why she didn’t go and finally found a man for herself and that had been it. She’d screamed back that she didn’t have a boyfriend because she was in love with him.

The dread that followed the confession was nearly unbarable. She was unable to read his expression. He just stared at her like she grew a second head.

“Please, just be my best friend now and not the guy who I just confessed my undying love to,” she whispered with shaky voice, her gaze dropped to the floor, unable to look him in the eyes for even one more moment.

“I can’t do that,” he said and she felt the tears well up in her eyes. She’d screwed up everything.

Paulo stood up from the couch and walked to her. She wrapped her arms around her middle, trying to physically hold the sob in that was forming in the pit of her stomach. She should turn around and leave but the truth was, she wasn’t entirely certain if she could take a single step either without throwing up or fainting. “I’m sorry.” He whispered as he stepped to her, his fingers lightly brushed over her bare arm, awakening goosebumps all over her skin.

She shook her head, her teeth sank into her bottomlip, not trusting her ability to talk. This was going to ruin their friendship, he was never going to be able to look at her the same way again. From now on, she was going to be the pathetic girl who confessed her love to him, not the girl who he could trust with anything, who he could joke around with, who he could be completely himself with. Their friendship was going to have a fast ending because it was going to be terribly awkward. He didn’t even want to ignore it.

“Hey,” he said softly, pulling her glasses off her nose. “You’re gonna have salt crystals all over them and then I’ll have to go and clean them for you because you are too lazy to do it and you don’t want me to bitch about that again now, do you?” She couldn’t help but laugh by his words. She was way tidier than him but somehow her glasses always ended up at the end of the line and he always joked how she’d see nothing if not for him forcefully taking them off her and doing some vision cleaning. During romcoms when the big fall out arrived, he always took her glasses because he knee she’d just mess them up with her tears.

“Say it again.” His breath caressed the side of her damp cheek and she shuddered. What was he doing? What did he mean?

“I want you to be my friend?” She said uncertain, her mind clouded by her fears just as much as by his closeness. She could feel his stubble brushing her soft skin, his lips nearly touching her and she forgot to even breath.