The Dinner

Alex's POV:

It seemed as if everything I ever did was taking Twister out for a walk. I couldn't keep myself at home doing nothing all day, and he was the best excuse to have something to do. As I was arriving to my flat with him, I suddenly remembered Miles had invited me over for dinner to this very refined restaurant I didn't even recall the name of. I didn't feel like going, but he kept insisting that it would be good for me to hang out with him for a while. He was probably right, so I had accepted his offer. Talking about Miles, his name appeared on my phone screen, indicating I had a new message.

"Hey, mate! Remember the restaurant's booked for eight! Bella and I met this lovely bird at the polo match today, we invited her over to join us tonight. I think she's single ;)

Ugh, was what Miles even trying to do? I hated when he kept insisting that I should give love one more chance or whatever. Lately all he had been trying to do was to hook me up with any woman walking on the Earth's surface.

"Hey, you'd better not leave me hanging alone with this new bird of yours just so you can go snog with Bella. Not really interested in meeting anyone new, but I'll be there by eight"

Now I was going to have to pretend I was a nice and absolutely not broken down lad. I utterly hated Miles for inviting people I didn't even know to our dinner. He knew I loathed those kind of situations where you had to talk to the other person but it was kind of weird because none of them knew the other.

"Cool, mate! And don't sweat it, you're gonna thank me later for having introduced you to this bird. She's an actual bomb"

It looked like Miles was in a cheerful mood today. Whatever it was, I just wasn't able to feel the same way. Still, I got into the shower to start getting ready for the night. I finished at around half past seven, so I figured I could stay at home wandering around for a couple more minutes before I got onto my bike. I had dressed myself pretty nicely for the occasion, which was something I hadn't bothered in doing for a while now. I guess one night wasn't going to kill me.

The night was warm, but as I sped off on my bike, I soon felt the harsh air on my skin. The restaurant wasn't that far away from home, and as I got closer I already felt like ditching everyone. I wasn't in the mood for this. Anyway, I got off my bike and stepped inside the place. From the distance I could see Miles waving at me. God, he was so enthusiastic tonight. I walked towards Miles, Bella and Collin, noticing there was still another chair besides mine that wasn't occupied yet. Guess Miles' new friend hadn't showed up yet, or at least I was hoping she had cancelled on us.

"Hey, mate" Miles chimed.

"Hey, lads" I greeted as I took a seat on my chair next to him.

"Oh, cheer up, Al. Tonight's going to be great" Miles said.

"Yeah, Alex. We've met this super interesting girl, you're going to absolutely adore her. She and Collin have also known each other for long" Bella added. Apparently everyone was extremely excited about this girl. "Her name's Maia, she works for this really good polo team, can't actually remember the name, though" Maia... the name kind of rang a bell in me. Anyhow, I shrugged it off, I wasn't really interested.

"How are you tonight, Al?" Collin asked. He looked like the only one that I was going to be able to talk to tonight.

"I'm good, thanks. I was thinking about writing somet...-"