A New Life

Maia's POV:

I swallowed hard as I knocked on James' door. After weeks of being at the hospital, I returned home to find he had already taken the decision of picking his stuff up and finding himself a new place. I completely understood why, but I refused to leave things between us the way they had ended, so I finally gathered up enough courage to face him again and talk. I had let Alex known about it, and surprisingly, he hadn't opposed to me seeing James again, which I was very thankful for. In fact, he even agreed on the fact that I should give James a decent explanation of everything, and thus, here I was.

"Maia?" James asked surprised.

"Hey" I let out, feeling as if I was choking on my own words.

"What... what are you doing here?" He furrowed his brows.

"I... I wanted to, uhm..." I stuttered. "I wanted to apologize" Fuck, that sounded lame. James looked away, heaving in a sigh and licking his lower lip. "Listen, James, I know it's so stupid of me to come here looking for forgiveness, and I'm not expecting you to forgive me, but I just wanted to give you the explanation you deserve"

"Alright" He only muttered, drawing his hair back.

"Jay, I... I'm sorry you found out that way... trust me, it was so unexpected for me too. We crossed ways one day so unexpectedly, and then everything happened so fast, like, everything was so fucked up. It's not like I didn't like having you around, Jay, but..."

"But you loved him more" He finished up for me, making me fall silent. "It's ok, Mai" He mumbled, seeing that I wasn't being able to react. "I can't make you like me"

"Jay, it's not that... you know it" I whispered. "It doesn't mean that I never loved you or-"

"I know, Mai" He faintly smiled. "But I guess he... uhm, you know" I nodded, knowing exactly what he meant. Alex had somehow found a way to make me fall for him harder than I ever did. "I just want to know if you're honestly happy, Maia" He firmly said. "I just want the best for you"

"I am, Jay" I stated, returning his smile.

"Right" He exclaimed. "Well, uhm... then I wish the best for you, Mai"

"Thanks" I murmured. "Oh, wait" I suddenly squealed, taking a little box out of my purse. "You should have this, it's yours after all" I declared, handing him the engagement ring he had once given me. "You should give it to someone that deserves it more than I do, you know, someone that knows how to appreciate you better than I did" James hesitantly took the box from me, looking at it intently.

"You know, you deserved it, anyways, but I suppose things just weren't meant to be between us, right?"

"Yeah..." I trailed off, looking down at my feet.

"Come here, Mai" James whispered, taking me into his arms. I made an insane effort as not to let my tears break free, knowing that this was probably the last time I was ever going to hear from him. Yet, I knew it was the right thing to do, and I was relieved to see James taking it so well. "I hope you'll be alright"