No More Games

Alex's POV:

My heart froze when I saw Maia falling to the ground. I stood up from my seat intently at her to see if she would react, but she wasn't getting up, she was only lying on the floor. Zodiac was running around the arena until Georgie could get a hold of him, but even though I didn't know shit about horses, he looked terrified. The animal was breathing in and out in complete horror, and he couldn't keep himself steady. His eyes were as big as the moon, his ears were firmly pricked up, and his nostrils expanded with every breath he took; I did remember Maia had told that could never be a good sign in horses, it meant they were probably fearing for their lives. To be honest, I had never seen that horse like that, he was always so pacific.

I shook my head from my thoughts, and my eyes wandered off to Maia again, who was still showing no signs of life as she lay on the floor. There were people running towards her, and I unconsciously rushed towards the entrance to the arena, ignoring the lads' calls trying to stop me.

"I'm sorry, sir" A police officer told me, stopping me before I could step into the arena. "You can't get in"

"No, please, you don't get it" I pleaded. "I need to get in there"

"Sir, I'm afraid I can't let you in" He continued.

"Please, I need to check on her" I insisted, looking over the man's shoulder to see if Maia was still there, feeling as my heart beat to break out of my chest.

"Sir, only authorized people can have access to the arena, you can't come in. An ambulance is already on its way to assist the lady"

"But-"

"Alex, mate!" Miles called from behind me, taking me from my shoulder. "They're taking Maia outside, I think the ambulance is almost here. You have to come, stop doing stupid shit!"

"Fuck the ambulance, Miles! My car's right here, I'll fucking take her to the hospital myself if I have to!"

"Mate, you need to calm the fuck down!" Miles yelled, and I don't think I'd ever seen him losing his patience like this with me. "Listen, I'm sorry, I know we're all freaking out here" He muttered. "But let's just go outside, Maia must be there already"

"Fuck" I whispered. "Fuck, Miles" I bent down, resting my hands on my knees. Fuck, this couldn't be really happening.

"Alex" He called me out, placing his hand on my back. "Let's go, mate. You need to be there for her"

"I can't lose her like this, Miles" I mumbled. "There's so much stuff left we have to talk about, and so many fucking moments to live still-"

"I know, mate" He cut me off. "And that's why we need to get out there and help her" Miles fixed his eyes on mine, and I finally got to bring myself back to Earth, nodding at him and rushing towards the exit of Writtle, along with the rest of the lads.

Maia was already being carried into the ambulance, and Georgie was right by her side. We ran towards them, but before I could even have a look at Maia, the ambulance's doors were being closed behind her, and a doctor was persistent on not allowing me in. What the fuck was even wrong with all these people forbidding me to see her?

"Alright, we're taking care of the patience already" One of the doctors told us. We were all gathered around the ambulance, trying to get a clue out of everything that was going on. "But we'll need someone from the lady's family we can call, we have to let them know about the accident, and we also need them to provide us with her personal information" We all fell silent... Maia had no family here, and none of us knew at least her ID.