Honest Talk

Maia's POV:

I don't think I'd ever been so nervous in my life. Turns out coffee with Alex came sooner than what I'd expected, and two days after his call we were meeting at a nearby café. It was Saturday, and the sun shone in a way London wasn't used to. Giving in to summer season, I put on my favorite loose red dress on top of a white shirt, it was kind of my style. As I grabbed my sunglasses, I noticed Diesel staring at me, giving me the puppy eyes. If there was one thing I couldn't resist to, it was that look, so I looked for his leash and decided to bring him up with me to the coffee shop. I was sure Alex wasn't going to mind, besides, the day outside was beautiful and we were going to have a nice excuse to sit outside. That, and the fact that Alex was a smoker. Still, there was nothing that I loved more than sipping at coffee while staring at the city during summer, with the fresh air caressing my skin.

I started walking with Diesel to the coffee shop, each step I gave seemed to be bringing me closer to my death. Even though I was good at hiding my real feelings, inside I felt my heart trying to get out of my ribcage. Diesel, on the other hand, was as happy as ever. As I neared the place, the first person my eyes landed on was Alex. I'd never thought of him as a punctual guy, but then again, I was the absolute opposite to it. He could have arrived only five minutes ago, but there was still no way I was getting there first. He was sitting outside, as if he had read my thoughts, until I noticed that he had also decided to bring Twister along. Twister was lying peacefully under Alex's chair, and Alex was staring at the cars passing by while he smoked a cigarette. As Twister noticed Diesel and me arriving, he shot up from his place, the only thing restraining him from running towards us was the leash attaching him to the chair. Alex was almost thrown out of his seat, and immediately he started scolding Twister, until he heard me sitting right in front of him in a fit of laughter.

"Hey, sorry I'm late" I apologized as I made myself comfortable in my seat. I noticed Alex mumbling something at me, but I interrupted him. "Hold it, can't hear you" I said motioning to the earphones in my ears. As I got them out, I faced him again. "What were you saying?"

"I said I wasn't expecting you to be here early, anyways"

"Oh, yeah" I smiled. "As I told you at dinner last night, old habits die hard"

"That's going to get you in trouble one day"

"As if! Trust me, the last thing anybody wants is to get in trouble with a latina"

"Honestly, I'd like to see that" He laughed. "Anyways, what were you listening to?" He asked nodding towards my headphones. I doubted for a second, did I really want to show this guy I was listening to something my grandma or my mom would listen to? He was probably thinking I was into the indie scene or something cool. Whatever, I hadn't come here to impress him.

"This, rockstar boy, is Luis Miguel" I said sharing one of my earphones with him. I put the other one in my ear and pressed play. Luis Miguel's voice invaded my senses, giving me a summery vibe I couldn't resist to. Alex, on the side, looked taken aback.

"You know, I can't get a word he's saying"

"Too bad, you're missing out on the good stuff. Looks like you're going to be needing some Spanish classes"

"Well, you could teach me" He fixed his eyes one me. I felt my cheeks growing red, so I tried to give little importance to what he had mentioned.

"If you're planning on getting free Spanish classes, don't count me in. I'm charging you for every second I'll have to spend with your cocky attitude next to me"