21 -"He doesn't need to know."

A/N
(This is after she snuck in and right when Shawn woke up)

•Ashley's POV•
"Ashley?" I hear him say in a raspy voice.

I freeze in my spot for a few seconds before I turn around to see him looking at me.

"Yup." I say, popping the 'p'.

He looks around and then looks back at me. I walk up to him and scoot the chair up to his bed.

"Where am I?" He asks.

"You're at Trinity Hospital Center. Do you remember anything, Shawn?" I tell him.

He thinks for a little then he says, "My dad. H-he was gonna shoot you but I-I blocked you and he ended up shooting me. I don't remember anything after that."

I nod my head.

He didn't hear what you said.

"I'm so sorry Shawn. I never meant for you to get shot." I pause. "I'm also sorry that I pushed you away. I just. . . I had a lot on my mind and I didn't want you to get caught in my storm." I tell him.

"It's ok. I understand. You were worried about your brother." He says.

I nod my head. Then, I heard voices at the door. I immediately stand up and try to figure out where to go.

"Ashley I hate to ruin the moment but  Mr. Mendes, 2 of his men and the doctor are outside the door. You have to find a way out of there before they go in." Liz says in my earpiece.

"What's wrong? Why are you standing up?" He asks me.

I laugh a little nervously.

"Well umm I'm kinda not supposed to be here. Your dad said that if he ever sees me close to you, he would kill me." I explain to him.

I can see in his eyes that he's a little angry.

"Ok. I got a plan. Hide behind the door and when you hear me say 'I feel a lot of pain' it's your signal to get out."

I nod my head and hide behind the door. Just on time, the door opens and everyone walks into the room.

"Shawn! Thank god your finally awake." Mr. Mendes says.

They all talk for awhile then the doctor does his examination.

"Do you feel any pain?" The doctor asks.

It's quiet for awhile until he says, "I feel a lot of pain."

I get out of the back of the door and slowly walk out. Before I go out, I look at Shawn and nod at him. He nods back. Then, I walk away.

~2 months later~
Ryan, Liz, Mason and I were all talking while walking to the library. We were all laughing at something that Mason had said. When I looked up, I saw Shawn. We both made eye contact but I disconnected from him.

A few weeks ago, he got discharged from the hospital. He came looking for me but, just like before, I pushed him away. I told him that his dad would never allow him to be friends with me. He said he didn't care but at the end he knew we needed to protect ourselves. So, he left me alone.