➻Chapter 13 - Hug Me Right Now.

[chapters henceforth are not edited and are a first draft that was written years ago. Spare the errors, I'll be editing the book soon.]

ADELE'S POV:

"Beep Beep!", "Beep Beep!"

The incessant blare of my alarm clock pierced through the quietude of the morning, rudely jolting me from my slumber once again.

With a begrudging groan, I fumbled to silence the obnoxious noise, my movements sluggish as I struggled to rouse myself from the comforting embrace of sleep. Rubbing the drowsiness from my eyes, I sat up on the edge of the bed, my disheveled hair resembling a tangled bird's nest.

"Morning!" The booming voice of my brother, Jake, shattered the fragile peace of my room, his appearance far too enthusiastic for this ungodly hour.

Startled by his sudden intrusion, I flinched, my eyes snapping open wide in alarm. Before I could fully comprehend the situation, a pillow came hurtling towards me, striking my face with surprising force, leaving my head to spin with the blow.

For god's sake, was this the start of my freaking day?

"What the heck? What's with this madness early in the morning, Jake?" I groaned, grabbing the same pillow he threw at me and firing back in his direction which he deftly dodged, chuckling at my feeble attempt.

Approaching me, Jake's smile faded abruptly as he noticed something amiss. "Adele, what shirt is that you're wearing?" he asked, his tone curious with a hint of seriousness.

My heart skipped a beat as I immediately realised—I was wearing Tyler's shirt. Fuck. Doomed. Panic surged through me.

"Oh, this? It's Nicole's shirt. I borrowed it," I stammered, scrambling for an excuse.

Jake furrowed his brow, clearly unconvinced. "Nicole's shirt? I think I've seen it before," he mused, scratching his chin thoughtfully. "And it's definitely not Nicole who I saw it on, and it surely doesn't belong to you."

Oh, Lord! Adele, come on, think of something before he recognizes it!

"What kind of a crazy are you, Jake! First, you shouted and barged into my room like a madman, and now you're bombarding me with questions? What do you want?" I scowled, my hand curling into fists, prepared to retaliate if he persisted.

Finally, he let out a loud laugh, rubbing my arm. "Alright, relax, I'll drop it," he said, and I released a long sigh of relief, allowing my body to relax.

"Um, anyway," Jake continued, his tone growing more serious, and I arched my brows, looking at him expectantly.

"Adele, I have decided," He nodded, gnawing on his lips, and I tilted my head, curiosity piqued.

"Yes? What did you decide?"

"I'll try talking to Isabelle once," Jake mumbled, scratching his forehead, and a wide grin spread across my lips.

Ah, finally, his brain was on the right track!

"Oh, yes! Seriously?" I exclaimed, throwing my arms up in mock dramatics and doing a little victory dance, prompting a chuckle from him.

"Come on, Mom's calling you for the breakfast downstairs," he said, playfully squishing my cheeks, to which I responded with an exaggerated shudder.

"Ew, Jake, quit with the cheesy tactics!" I laughed, wrestling his hand away, and he flashed a grin before lightly punching my arm.

"Is this acceptable now?" he chuckled.

Before I could retaliate with a witty comeback, he dashed towards the door, giving me a cheeky wink as he made his escape, leaving me to toss him a playful salute before the door clicked shut.