35

"Where are you?" Eugene said over the phone.

"At home. In bed. It's sunday, old man."

He sighed, "Well, get up then, Rach."

I sat up in bed, the covers draped over my legs, "And why should I do that?"

"Because I have a fresh pot of coffee over here waiting for you..."

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "Ugh, you got me."

I flung the covers off and got out of bed.

"See ya in ten then." he hung up the phone.

And in ten minutes, he was right. I knocked on his door and waited for him to answer.

"You know... You don't have to knock." He moved aside to let me inside.

"And forget my manners? You're my boss, remember?"

"I don't think that matters at this point." He closed the door behind me. "Us being us, ya know...?"

I tilted my head with a smirk, "Us being us?" I said, mocking him slightly.

"Yeah... You come over every weekend and basically sleep here the entire time so I think if that doesn't make whatever this is a thing then I don't know what would." He plopped down on the couch, looking uncomfortable.

I watched him for a second as I tried to figure out what was wrong, "Oh, yeah! You are still wearing a corset, aren't you?" I smiled and tried to hold back laughter but a few slipped out.

He nodded and sighed as he lifted his shirt to show me, "Mhhh."

I sat down on the couch beside him, facing Eugene so we could talk best.

"So, what happened last night?" he asked.

"What do you mean? Last night?"

He nodded, "Yeah, last night. You forgot to call me before bed."

"How do you know I forgot? I could have went to bed late..." I raised an eyebrow as I questioned him, trying to get out of the question.

He rolled his eyes and leaned closer to me. "Because I know you, Rachel. You would have told me you weren't going to bed yet. Something distracted you."

I crossed my arms over my chest. I started to breath faster, panicking slightly. "I have never told anyone this. My mom is the only one who knows, so bear with me?"

"Always," he breathed and but his hand on my leg in a comforting manner.

My eyes floated down for a second before coming back up to his focused, dark ones. "My dad left us when I was seven. He left and basically fell off the side of the earth for no other reason than he wasn't happy anymore and he didn't want to work through it. I was never really mad about it. After all, it taught me that you can't rely on people for happiness. Yes, my mom was devastated but we became closer than ever. I think that's why it was so hard to leave her to move here, to LA, but she encouraged me to be happy and find myself." Taking a breath, I tried to regain my thoughts.

"So that's why you're more of an commitment freak than I am sometimes..."

I hit his arm in a joking way, but he made me laugh slightly, which was his purpose and I could tell he was happy he achieved a smiled on my face.

"Continue," he urged, egare to hear more.

Leaning sideways slightly, I reached for my back pocket and pulled out a note. "He gave me this on the day he left."

"Can I see it?"

I nodded and handed it to him.

Eugene unfolded it, before started to read it. His eyes widen as he took it all in, "Oof."

Taking a deep breath, I continued, "So that's why I didn't call."

"I don't get it... That's what kept you up last night? A note from years ago?"

I shook my head, "No... Hermann is here. He works in town, as a cop, waiting at my door last night."

"I always knew my girl was a troublemaker. Was he like, You're under arrest- Oh, shit. That's the daughter I left.-"

Eugene tried to go on making the situation light-hearted but I slapped his arm once again to stop him. "No. I think his shift was over and he decided to just hop on over."

Eugene leaned back. I could see the cogs spinning in his mind, "Wow."

Yeah. Tell me about it. It's a lot to take in.

I nodded. "He said he would give me space to think about everything. And when I'm ready, call him."

He got a confused look on his face.

"Remember that unknown number?"

The light bulb popped one in his eyes. "Oh..."

"Yeah. He tried to warn me, but that didn't work out for him."

We sat in silence for a second, before both us us stared into each other's eyes for a second.

"I mean, I didn't even know that he was alive or not for years so at least, if I decide I want to never see or talk to him again in my life, then I have some closer.

Eugene pulled me into his arms for a warm hug. "I'll support what ever you decide to do, Rach."