Texts

A few weeks later...

"Bye, noona," Hoseok said, faking a smile. She was leaving for university, leaving Hoseok behind, alone.

"Bye, Hoseokie!" she said, trying to ignore the dullness in his eyes, the fakeness of the smile. She gave him a tight hug and whispered into his hair. "It's going to be okay, okay? If anything hurts again, tell appa and eomma, promise me that. Promise me."

"I promise," Hoseok mumbled. Dawon smiled, unaware of his fingers crossed behind his back.

"Okay. I'll be back on weekends. It's not far, if there's an emergency, just call me and I'll come, okay? I want you to know that I'm here for you, Hoseokie."

"Okay, noona, thanks. Have fun!"

"You have fun and make new friends, alright? And talk to Yoongi slowly, gently, and he'll eventually open up, I promise you."

"Maybe. I love you, noona, now hurry up before you're late."

Dawon laughed. Hoseok forced a laugh that ended up sounding like a choke.

"I love you too, Hoseokie. Remember--"

"Yeah yeah, tell you if there's an emergency, you love me, make friends... I get it, noona! Now hurry up!"

Dawon smiled and pulled away, ruffling Hoseok's hair. She noticed he left off one item on his list, but didn't push it.

"See you on Saturday! Have fun at school tomorrow!"

"'Kay, bye, I love you."

"Love you."

Then Dawon was gone, walking to her car, driving away, leaving Hoseok standing on the porch. He glanced up at Yoongi's window across the street, then at Jimin's, right next to his brother's. He wondered what it felt like to have someone his age so close to him.

"Hoseok, did she leave?"

"Yeah, appa. I guess it's just us now..."

A warm chuckle came from inside the house. Hoseok couldn't smile back. His smile had disappeared, at least the real one had.

He headed up to his room and flopped onto his bed. He noticed a slip of paper on his desk and picked it up, reading it to himself.

Hoseokie,

I love you forever! Have fun in school and make new friends!

If you're ready for it, here's Yoongi's number: xxx-xxx-xxxx.

You don't have to text him, and if he doesn't reply, just give it time. He loves you always, just like me, and appa and eomma. I hope you know that, Hoseok. You're loved. Always, forever, infinitely.

I love you!!!

Dawon, your favorite (and only but still) sister

Hoseok felt the first real smile in weeks tug at his lips as he counted the hearts Dawon had drawn after her name.

14...

15...

16.

His age.

He decided that he would try, just for Dawon's sake. He grabbed his phone and slowly put the numbers in, double checking, then took a deep breath and texted.

Me

hi

it's hoseok

is this yoongi?

He was surprised when a reply came almost right after he sent the last text.

xxx-xxx-xxxx

ye tis iz yoongi banana infires!!

im stupid, u know thata?

Hoseok frowned at the phone, confused.

xxx-xxx-xxxx

JUST KIDING HAHJ

IM JIMIN

DID I GET U?

Hoseok laughed, and his laugh sounded like glass shattering to him. Broken and fragile, not right. He abruptly stopped.

Me

hi jimin!

u def got me

is this ur hyung's phone?

xxx-xxx-xxxx

ya

but i stole it from him

well i borrowed it

xxx-xxx-xxxx's name as been changed to Yoongi

Me

lol did he let u?

Yoongi

maybe?

kinda

uh oh he's coming SAVE ME

dj

fjdsalkfm fsdajkl

fmmmdsh

i'm rlly sorry, my brother got my phone

who is this?