Real Smile

Hoseok's parents came in a worried rush.

"Hoseokie honey! How are you feeling?"

Hoseok smiled weakly, gripping Yoongi's hand. Yoongi squeezed back reassuringly.

"I'm good," he managed. Yoongi squeezed tighter. "I'm ready to go home."

"Okay that's good, who's this?"

"I'm--" Yoongi began.

"He's--" Hoseok said at the same time. They both cut off and looked expectantly at Dawon, who had followed the parents in.

"That's Yoongi," she said, waiting for a flicker of recognition. A moment later, it came.

"Like, Min Yoongi?" asked the mom, looking at Yoongi. He nodded uneasily. Did they think it was his fault? It was his fault...

He started pulling his hand away, but Hoseok held tight.

"It's not your fault!" he hissed. Yoongi tried to relax.

"Uh, Hoseokie passed out and Yoongi brought him here," Dawon said quickly, noticing Yoongi's expression.

"Thank you so much!" said the dad, slapping Yoongi on the back. "Were you hanging out with him after school?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," Yoongi said quietly. Did they not remember him?

"That's great, Hoseokie! Making new friends!" Dawon said, looking pointedly between the two boys. Yoongi blushed and Hoseok smirked.

"Min Yoongi? I..." Hoseok's mom slid her hands down her face. "I'm so stressed lately that I've forgotten so much... but sweetie, weren't you like... you know..."

"No--" Hoseok and Yoongi began, wanting to explain a different time. Dawon, however, had a different idea.

"Yep," she said brightly. The boys glared at her. She shrugged. "He's the guy Hoseokie was in love with. I do have to say though, they're absolutely adorable together..." Hoseok was blushing furiously and glaring at his sister.

"Yoods?!" said Hoseok's dad. Yoongi brightened at the nickname. He'd earned it when he was eating over at their house one day, and he really liked the noodles their mom had made, so there was a debate about what Yoongi's nickname should be.

Dawon rolled her eyes.

"Appa, it's Yoongs, you should know this by now."

"It's Yoods, I'm convinced! Yoongi plus noodles, it's Yoods. Or Yoodles, I suppose," their dad insisted, chuckling. Hoseok looked confused and out of place.

"Yoongs?"

Everyone turned to look at Hoseok.

"It's Yoods," their dad said lightly. Hoseok closed his eyes tightly.

"W-Were we eating n-noodles? At d-dinner?"

Dawon stared as a proud smile started to spread across her face. Their parents nodded and gave him high fives, unsure of why he suddenly remembered. Yoongi looked sadly at the floor. If Hoseok remembered good times, he would also remember bad times. Like how Yoongi had told him to go into the store. Eventually, he would realize that everything really was Yoongi's fault.

"You're remembering!" said their dad. Hoseok just shrugged.

"I mean, you did say noodles..."

"It's better than nothing," Dawon said cheerfully. "Let's get going, it's getting late."

The nurse gave them a good to go and they all walked to Dawon's car. Yoongi held Hoseok's hand the whole way.

"We'll go in our car, Dawon can drive you home, Yoongi, then drop Hoseok off. Dawon, call us for anything."

They all nodded, then ducked into Dawon's car.

"Spill," she immediately ordered.

"What?" both boys asked at the same time, then exchanged grins.

"Well? Why did you remember, Hoseokie?"

"Uh... what? I don't know..."

"Did you guys kiss?" Dawon teased, backing the car out of the parking lot. She glanced in the rearview mirror and saw the two boys blushing furiously. But they were looking at each other, and she saw what she had longed to see for years. Friendship. And love. They were together at long last, even if the circumstances were slightly bad. "You kissed."

"Aish, noona! That's embarrassing!" Hoseok whined, but a real smile was playing on his lips, bringing the familiar happy brightness. Dawon smiled, then her smile faltered.

"Hoseokie, you need to eat, do you understand me?"

"Yes, noona," Hoseok said obediently.

"Yoongi, watch him. If he doesn't eat, tell me, or our parents," Dawon said, glancing at the mirror again.

"Don't worry, I'm making sure of that," Yoongi said, grimacing when Hoseok started looking slightly nauseous. "Hey, you okay?"

"Y-Yeah," Hoseok said, but his stomach was churning and he felt sick again. "N-Noona, can you slow down a b-bit, please?"

"Yeah, of course, sorry," Dawon said, immediately slowing down a bit and trying to drive smoother. "That means you can't ride a bus, Hoseok."

"I'll walk with him," Yoongi offered, then looked at Hoseok. "That is, if you want to..."

Hoseok brightened.

"Of course!"

Dawon grinned to herself.