Part 8

I lashed out at Zabuza with my sword and the metallic "clang" of wepaon meeting weapon echoed around the meadow. I smirked as Zabuza leapt back in surprise. Kakashi was being desperatly and terribly healed by the pink haired girl leaning over him trying to do a failure of a healing jutsu. Idiocy can't be cured.

"I say... why don't you start showing some actual concern for your life and not stare lovingly at an injured shinobi. I doubt he'll live, to be honest," Zabuza growled with a satisfied smirk as he stuck his sword onto the moist ground and flipped backwards into the water, leaving his sword sticking on the ground.

"No one really abandons their weapon in the middle of combat you know?" I yelled at the river but no one answered. He was definitely planning something. But then again... traps are set to be fallen into.

Everything seemed to turn grey as mist rose from the waters, covering the whole forest with a blurry veil. "I hate this wretched place," I muttered as I tried to bash away the mist with my wind chakra. Only more mist churned and blew into my face. I can't even tell if it's Zabuza's jutsu or it's just natural mist. I mean... I can't feel any chakra signals at all.

I walked forwards hesitantly and reached out my hand to feel my way through... my hands met metal and I jerked back. It was Zabuza's sword. I activated my eyes and peered around warily. No one came out to cut my head off and no one seemed to be even around. That Zabuza... who is he actually? Clearly Kakashi knew him so he can't be some random man passing by that decided to provoke and group of Konoha shinobis...

I gripped my fingers around the handle of the sword and lifted. It remained stuck in the ground. Never thought this would be so darn heavy. I tried again. This time, it budged a little. I gripped harder and clenched my teeth. Fricking. Huge. Swords.

I fell back as the sword lifted out of the ground, spraying dirt and stones all over my face. But truly, this isn't even my face. It's only a genjutsu. I borrowed the inspiration from a small village girl that Sasori frightened a few weeks ago... oh well, I suppose I can drop the useless act.

"So you finally show your true form." Zabuza's voice echoed from somewhere inside the mist and I t'ched. My Byakugans wasn't catching anything. Should I have focused on training it more? I heard it could see up to 20 kilometres or something...... frick. Maybe it's also because of the mist?

"Kage bunshin no jutsu." I muttered as two copies of myself poofed out on either side of me. "Find him." I commanded and the two nodded before running out into the mist. With my Byakugans, I could assure he can't get within 5 meters of me without me knowing but, that still doesn't help with me finding him... If any of my bunshins died, I would instantly know Zabuza's position. He could either avoid my bunshins and come at me, or somehow find a way to end them without them noticing him first. But then again, my bunshins have Byakugans and Sharingans too, although the chakra they take directly comes from me, I could afford this loss.

"Come out~ Zabuz—"

Suddenly, a needle whizzed out of the mist and I dropped the sword, leaping back as it directly came for my brain. It was long enough to pierce through the whole of my head before I even realized I was dead. By the look of the direction...

Three more came raining down on me, each from a different direction and I groaned. Clones again. However... Zabuza didn't seem to be carrying any other shinobi tools, not to say medical-nin-like needles... unless he had a partner hiding in the trees waiting for the right moment...

"AHHHHHH!!!!" A scream came from behind me and I whirled around. Feminine and childish. Where did that old man go again?

I dashed towards the voice and almost tripped over a tree branch. The mist is really annoying now... where do you even get mist as thick as this? I clenched my teeth and searched through the mist.

"NARUTO!!!" Another shout echoed out and I turned around, trying to detect something with my eyes. Traces of chakra was everywhere. That was when a huge sword land in contact with my waist. I was launched forwards onto a tree as I held my waist in pain. Why didn't I noticed the attack?

"Maybe you should try harder." Zabuza's voice growled from above and I ducked as he huge sword threatened to split my shoulder from my body.

Try harder?

Boring.

"You could've at least let me put on the show... it's always more fun when the protagonist is in some trouble, right?" I let out a small smirk and stood straight, releasing the fake tension in my muscles. I stared at Zabuza perched on a branch above me and let my face fall into unconcern. The twisted expression on his face was fabulous.

"It's easy to see through your act. You could've located the strongest chakra sense easily and charged straight at me. I doubt you would've lost." Zabuza mused and swung his sword down, pointing it at me. "But you didn't. How do you even call that a show?"

"A show is put up to be seen through... don't you agree?" I answered with a small smile and activated the seal I had placed on his sword earlier.

Zabuza's scream was cut short as flames engulfed his sword, his arm, and then his body. The burning red and orange flames bellowed and roared in the mist, it's shadows and light mixing together to form a beautiful, beautiful crime...... and I laughed.

The mist was finally beginning to blow away.

I turned away from the burning swordsmen and looked through the mist at the group of five. They were cuddled together, with Kakashi limply hanging from Sasuke's shoulders, in fear and apprehension. The feeling of not knowing what would come next. The feeling that their lives would be taken with a snap of the finger.

I haven't felt that for quite a while.

I miss that feeling don't I?

The feeling that I could be beaten, killed, tortured by anyone.

The state of uncertainty.

A place where I felt in danger. A place where I felt actually, truly... afraid.

Boring.

Boring.

boring boring boring

boringbroingbroingboringboringboringboringboring...

That was the only word to describe the world now. But...

At least I could start making this world interesting.

I lifted myself back up from the ground and wobbly leaned onto a tree. A flash of golden, black, and pink hair whizzed in front of my vision and I laughed again. The world was hazy... and flash...

I'm probably crazy.