Part 36

The crowd watched apprehensively as Sakon edged near Sasuke. Naruto, Sakura, and Kakashi were on the other side of the arena, all their gaze directed at the two of them. Sasuke backed away as he held his neck in pain. The cursed seal's powers were being rejected... if he would accept it. Let it breeze over him. The pain won't come.

I looked around. Was Orochimaru-sama not here to enjoy the sight of his own accomplishment?

Kabuto was also surveying every face and chakra in the room, trying to detect something. Why would Orochimaru-sama not tell Kabuto if he was to be here...?

So that meant he didn't come.

But why wouldn't he come?

Sakon waved up at me and winked, his face was full of an emotion like "watch me slaughter this brat". Thinking about it, Sakon was actually the same age as Sasuke... 12 year old boys, because of the shionbi world they live in, they're forced to fight each other until one can no longer stand. Putting it this way sounds way more sympathetic than saying an experiment subject tearing the throat out of an Uchiha prodigy.

I closed my eyes and expanded my dojutsu so that I could feel the Uchiha's every chakra pulse, every deep breath, every concentration, and every attempt to move. The cursed seal on his neck contained fragments of Orochimaru's, and surprisingly, the Sound Four's chakra. The distant but familiar scent of Jirobo, Kidomaru... Tayuya.

How was Suzuki doing?

It was dangerous. I knew before I even let it drift into my consideration. But the pain caught on fast. I doubled back and into the concrete wall, holding my head and arm. I can't think. Mitarashi Anko's words formed in my mind again. Let it drop. Whatever you're thinking is hurting you. Let it drop.

I took in a few deep breathes and tried to remember Orochimaru-sama's face.

I remembered his words.

And before I returned.

When I didn't leave.

The times I was obedient.

Yes.

That was what I needed.

Unquestioning obedience.

I looked back up again. Ukon was barely glancing at me, his concentration fully on Sakon. There was whispering and chattering all around as genins and their senseis alike leaned over to see what was happening. Kabuto was even wringing his hands nervously as he glanced towards the corner of the arena. It had felt like seconds since the pain started but by the soreness of my leg, I might've been squatting here longer than I've thought.

I lifted myself back up and looked in. The scene burned into my vision and I almost stumbled back in shock.

Sakon was slamming into Sasuke, who's blood was now covering the both of them. Sakon was also bleeding from what seemed like scratch and bite marks. There was a black bruise growing on his neck. Sasuke was still struggling, blood dripping out of the corner of his mouth as he was repeatedly crushed into the wall. The Jonin in charge, Gekko Hayate, if I remember correctly, showed no signs of stopping the round. He was watching, his eyes narrowing down upon the two's motions. Was he deciding until which point everything would be settled for sure? I activated my eyes and looked through the cursed seal. It was pulsing to be used, no doubt screaming at Sasuke to give up to its power. It would be better for him if he did... then Sakon might not accidentally kill him.

"HOW CAN YOU CALL YOURSELF AN UCHIHA IF THIS IS ALL YOU CAN DO!!!!!!"

A voice broke through the grunting and shouts from Sakon and Sasuke. I looked over at the blonde, who was leaning forward so much that he could fall straight into the arena. Kakashi was behind him, watching Sasuke with furrowed brows. He hadn't seemed that concerned since... well, I can't be talking.