Part 41

"I'm sorry to intrude at such a time, but do you know the old tenants of this apartment?" I bowed and asked, trying to play with the newly found emotion on my face. A smile. An expression I've finally found myself capable of obtaining. And only a week, no, a few days after I had arrived at Konohagakure and found the company of Tenzo. He was a nice person. Almost gentlemen like but still a little childish. I liked that.

I really do.

"Uh, no... No! It's alright, come in." The old woman waved her arms towards the small room with a hesitant smile. What if she knew who I truly am. Why I'm truly here? I bowed and let my face fall again. It was still simpler that way. Without a smile.

"Have some tea. And help yourself to the sweets on the table." The woman invited and I nodded briskly. I still have not found a liking to the food outside though. Tea was weird and bitter, and the sweets too sticky. Honestly, the dark kitchen in Orochimaru's base could produce better products.

"I appreciate your concern but do you know of the old tenant? I think it may be a girl... working for the village?" I proposed. The woman shook her head.

"Who knows? I'm not from Konoha but they took me in once realizing I had nowhere else to stay. They say the apartments in these areas are cheaper because it used to be owned by the village... village police force? A... ABU? something like that. The sellers say my room is haunted, I don't believe them, you know? It's probably their trick to get people out of the best rooms so they can sell it at an even higher price later on. Those trickeries! Ha..." The old woman muttered half to me, half to herself. By the end, she was merely recounting a tale told many times to her friends. Who knows how much of it is actually true.

"Thank you." I rose and nodded at her, adjusting my sleeve. She raised her head questioningly and stood up hurriedly as well. "I don't think you have what I'm looking for."

A look flashed through the old woman's eyes before she looked away and shook her head sadly.

"Unfortunately... then. This is all I kn—"

I drew the short knife from inside my sleeve and launched it at the old woman. She stepped aside just in time to avoid the blade from cutting through her skull. A look of horror escaped her eyes before she lowered herself, grabbing the katana hang from her wall, on display.

"I knew it. You're a veteran."

Muttering to myself, I reached back and slid out the katana from my back. It was old. Definitely. But enough to fight like Orochimaru-sama taught. She would reduce to another body, hanging from the tree. Another villager, fleeing the fire, fleeing my grasp.

But I needed her alive.

To tell me the story.

Her story.

"I don't know anything about that girl. She's a demon that betrayed the village. That's all I've heard from the ANBU and Hokage." The old woman reasoned as I advanced. The fear in her eyes was real. She knew my strength and she doubted her own. It might've been a long time since the fight was brought to her.

"Then why did they assign you to this room?"

"I don't know. They said they wanted an ANBU veteran in here and so I volunteered. If you have something against me, then come on up. But if you have something against the Demon, go talk to the ANBU leader. Go talk to Danzo-sama. Go talk to Hokage-sama. It's none of my crap to take care of!" The woman roared just as I prepared to attack. Her last resort? The most she can provide me?

I didn't doubt that.

"There ought to be something you're protecting."

One last question to bring out the truth.