Part 55

Life felt almost normal within these walls. Each day, the day's food portions will be slid over to me through a small crack on the far wall. The opening will automatically sink back into the wall the moment the bento box left its metallic bottom. Each day, the bento contained something different.

I couldn't tell if Kakashi took time to make these or if he just stole them from some restaurant. Whatever it was, the food was good.

But I was also constantly hungry.

Imagine being in Konoha without Dangos.

I laughed at myself, letting the small echo flow in and out of my ears. Since Tenzo and Akira, there have been no more visitors... no more people to bother me except from... well, Kakashi. He seemed somehow defeated as he came in every now and then. He seemed to have let go of something. Hate, I would like to believe.

He seemed to begin to look at me like a normal prisoner again.

Not the girl who has caused him so much pain.

Not the girl who had cheated him again and again...

But a prisoner. However privileged I might be compared to other prisoners...

The time given to me within these walls had calmed me down. I had traced every scratch on the wall, every part where the floors might've seemed older, more tarnished... all the patterns and reflections on the ceiling... what my shadow looked like at each time of the day. Repeated, monotonous actions...

Yet they calmed me.
Allowed me to think.

The electricity in the room suddenly blared brighter. I blinked a few times, adjusting to the sudden stream of light.

A light system had been added into my cell to "keep time". Each day past 9 pm, the lights will switch off. Each morning by 6 am, the lights will turn on dimly and by 10 am, the lights will shine the normal blare.

It did help keep track of time and a constant sleep schedule.

Roughly, it should've been already one month since everything.

The inky blackness on my arm has already disappeared halfway and it does seem as though if the loyalty seal is gone. But digging through my memories as far as I could, I found some evidence supporting the fact that Orochimaru had sealed my dojutsu before escaping the village without me. That was the furthest I could get my brain to remember about that day. I remember hearing the Old Man's words. Falling backwards. I remember Orochimaru's hands on my cheeks. I felt his breath. Chains around my eyes. Burning hotness... and then nothing.

I woke up back in the Konoha interrogation room.

I can no longer use strong genjutsu... the one I forcefully placed a month ago having almost completely broken my eyes. Some of the inherent senses still remained like chakra detection and far-reaching vision etc. None of these deemed useful in a fight though. I could, to some extent, break through barriers and genjutsus but with, barely, the skill of a Jonin. Right now, I would be around a B ranked criminal.

Does Orochimaru think of me anymore?

Did he abandon me or does he have other purposes in having me stay in Konoha...

This time, I was truly left in the dark.

"Yoru."

I looked up from the ground, my eyes adjusting slightly to the new colours in my world.

"Kakashi-taichou, what brings you here today?"