Part 53

"Jiraiya-sama! Kakashi-sama! Please... listen to me! You don't know the amount of force and influence Orochimaru has on his subjects... the girl is being controlled. Please. Let me talk to her!"

Jiraiya took in another deep breath. He didn't want to have this conversation an hour after Sarutobi-sensei's death. It didn't seem real to him. None of it is now.

He had failed to bring Orochimaru to justice, he had failed to protect another soul from Orochimaru's grasp, he now, even, had failed to save his teacher.

And now... this Jonin was begging him for her to speak with the killer of Sarutobi-sensei?

"Anko... please. Understand us. We were elected by the council to protect and guard Yoru. We can't simply let you in because you were once... in a similar situation." Kakashi reasoned as he tried to pry Anko off of Jiraiya.

"I told you... the girl is being controlled. She might even have the Juin somewhere... some seal or whatever Orochimaru is obsessed with these days. Please... PLEASE! Let me save her!" Anko roared, grabbing her own neck and showing her Juin. Since Konoha crush, she had not been as stable as before. Almost hysterical sometimes.

Especially after she brought in Yoru to the Anbu.

When she had "saved" the girl from what she called "the escaping fugitives", she was promised by Ibiki that the girl would be treated with care and supervision under her privately. However, after the Council made the decision for Kakashi to take over, Anko was put aside. Forgotten. The promise, too, forgotten. Kakashi knew it was foolish of him to ignore her too. Maybe she will be able to help Yoru...

but he didn't have the energy to do that anymore. Information about Yoru had slipped out ever since the incident. He didn't know if Jiraiya spilt it or Naruto... or even the Anbu guard. But whatever the case, people now knew about the monster who killed the Hokage. They knew that the monster was allegedly a young woman... A once Konohagakure shinobi.

Kakashi didn't know and didn't understand how this much information can be spilt within a day but when he returned to the Jonin rooms for a quick nap, he was instantly surrounded by Kurenai, Asuma, Anko, and many more.

Jiraiya had apparently traced him to. Since the funeral, he had been dreary, his eyes low cast and constantly set on either the floor or Kakashi.

"Please... Kakashi... You knew Yoru... you were close with her, I know you were! I did my part of the research. Team Ro, Anbu special unit. Uchiha Itachi, Yamata-kun, You, and the girl were all in it. When Uchiha Itachi betrayed the village, the girl left with him only a few months after... You were her "guardian" Kakashi. So you should know what's be—"

Kakashi slapped her away.

Anko's hand let go of his collar as she collapsed onto the ground, holding her burning red hands. Kakashi had used too much force than intended.

"Kakashi..." Asuma muttered as he placed a hand on his shoulder. "We understand you're under a lot of pressure but you're not in this alone... Okay?" The Jonin's voice was kind but ruff as always. It comforted him to know that he still had comrades... friends?...

Jiraiya shook his head from the side, glaring at the scene.

Kakashi turned to leave. He didn't want more trouble to come in his way. He didn't want anyone to interfere with him. Not now, anyway.

"Kakashi."

He didn't bother to turn around and look at the pathetic Jonin.

"If the Third was alive, he'd give her the chance of a new life."

Kakashi ignored the whispering and small talks from behind him as he leapt away, making sure even Jiraiya couldn't follow him anymore.

******************

I opened my eyes slowly. Again. For the nth time this day. I could feel more of the chakra around me. I could see further and further. I could see.

The chakra pacing around the hallway. Other prisoners struggling all around me. Maybe they were the Sunagakure and Otogakure shinobi. Many of them too, had been wounded.

Wound they be executed alongside me?

The door to the cell moved.

Those plain doors hidden from plain sight, painted the same colour as the walls.

"Kakashi-taichou. You're back again." I muttered, letting the silver hair sink into my vision. It hadn't been a long time since he barged in with Naruto this morning. At least I could still tell that it was morning.

But take it all in Yoru. You never know when it's the last.

"The funeral for Hokage-sama was today," Kakashi said loudly.

I nodded.

"Isn't there something you'd like to say?"

The Jonin in front of me felt so alien. Something to say to him? He knew that I had long lost my words and thoughts concerning Konoha. He should know the effects of Orochimaru.

I raised my right hand and pretended to draw a sword from my waist.

"Your sword?"

I smiled.

My baby had been taken from me again.

I had ended up in these cells again.

Facing Ibiki again.

Facing Kakashi again...

The only difference this time is that the old man is no longer here.

No longer here to invite me back to Konoha.

To say "welcome home".

To tell me where I belonged with that arrogance and assuming tone. Superior tone. Commanding tone...

I'm here all alone this time.

"I won't try to escape, Kakashi-taichou. You don't have to activate your Sharingans."

Kakashi froze for a seconds before letting out a choked laugh.

"I don't trust you anymore, Yoru. I can't."

"You shouldn't."

I stared up at the ceiling, making sure my eyes never left it's smooth and repressing surface. Kakashi talked. He did. About many things. About the times when he struggled through his losses. The way he struggled through everything. Meeting Itachi. Meeting me. Meeting Tenzo...

Rin.

Obito.

His dad.

I lost him halfway. No. He lost me halfway.