Part 61

Sound rushed into my ears after that. The pounding of rain of leaves. The sound of panting. Yelling. Screaming. Itachi's raised voice. Kisame's curses. Stop. Stop. Stop. Everyone yelled that.

"Stop."

I forced myself up from the muddy ground. Since when was I sprawled onto the ground?

I grabbed Naruto this time, firmly stabilizing my hand onto his nape. With a swift snap, I knocked him unconscious once again. He would stay this way much longer this time.

"Now... Isn't everything solved?"

I no longer knew what I wanted to do. Who I wanted to be.

Now, I just missed my cell. My cell full of nothing.

"YORU!"

Stop......

The silver-haired shinobi dropped himself between me and the two. For the first time, his eyes weren't on me.

"Give me Naruto. Don't you dare hurt him..." Kakashi swore as he took a step towards me.

I dropped Naruto onto the ground.

He crumpled like a doll.

"Kakashi. Back again after your first failure?" Itachi taunted, his eyes blazing red again. Kakashi readied his sharingans.

I wiped the mud off of my face.

*************

Taichou. Kakashi had once been Itachi's mentor, his teacher, and idol... yet now.

Why had things changed so much?

He and Kisame's mission isn't to kill Konoha prisoners and jonins. It was to capture the Nine Tails he never planned on letting the Akatsuki place a hand on. But he forced himself to look straight into his taichou's cold eye and press the genjutsu in. Hadn't he learned his lesson? Yoru was no longer here to protect him from genjutsu. No one can now stand behind him, pushing him up and straight.

He was facing Tsukiyomi on his own now.

Kakashi's face instantly contorted into a mask of despair, the determination from seconds ago struggling to stay afloat.

Yoru merely looked on this time, her tattered form washed down by the mud and rain. The storm had begun to cease, sunlight peeking out from the clouds again.

Kakashi let out a moan as he kneeled onto the ground. It's impressive to still stay conscious once stuck in Tsukiyomi. Itachi could give him that. If it was Yoru from years ago, she would've deflected his genjutsu like a shuriken thrown by a genin... 

If.

"Itachi-kun..."

Itachi cast his eyes sideways. Kisame's had drawn his ridiculous weapon again.

Yoru was staggering towards him. A half-smile plastered onto her face. That fake giggle... that fake emotion... she was full of it again.

"Weren't we... teammates before?"

Emotions he had forgotten for so long... the fear. The uncertainty. The excitement. Happiness. The despair. The dedication. His dedication.