Part 22

Orochimaru looked at the girl kneeling over the red-haired puppet's body and laughed. Nothing had been so amusing for quite a while. Kabuto was leaning on a tree nearby, messaging his shoulder and neck. Ukon was slumped behind Orochimaru, his eyes were distant and gazing ahead blindly.

Both of them were too naive to think that he wouldn't find out about their plans. The moment Kabuto had told him that Tayuya, Jirobo, and Kidomaru died in an experiment, Orochimaru fumed. There was no way Kabuto would conduct something so risky without his supervision. But that was before Kabuto showed him Sakon and Ukon. Separately. Different from each other. Apart. He decided to let the issue of the other three drop as he examined the wonder in front of his eyes. Kabuto was capable of great things and that was when Orochimaru started observing the three.

Ukon always slinked around in the darkness, only talking to Kabuto and sometimes himself. Sakon looked constantly unpleasant towards Kabuto and Ukon, however not saying anything about the two of them and their unusual behaviour. And lastly, Kabuto. He was constantly preoccupied, doing research that Orochimaru had not ordered in any sense. He spent most of his time in his own lab or in the forest, probably talking to Ukon.

Orochimaru soon came to the obvious conclusion that Kabuto was betraying him.

He needed to deal with these two traitors later. Despite he had known from Sakon long ahead of time that Kabuto was acting on his own, he didn't expect the boy to be so rash as to directly seek out Yoru. That had caused him quite some trouble.

But still... everything is working out.

The two immortals from the Akatsuki was standing on either side of Yoru, their gaze cold. Orochimaru couldn't see what Yoru's faced looked like but he hoped it was of agony. Despair. And emotions deep enough that she'll return to his side.

He waited patiently.

The girl jerked her arm as she reached out and touched Sasori's face for one last time. She was shaking as her fingers scraped his skin. They were cold like usual but filled with a coldness like she's never known. A distance. As though if he had trespassed to another land.

Yoru stood up slowly and turned towards Kakuzu.

Orochimaru let out a smirk when he saw her face. It was the most beautiful scene he has ever seen.

"I'm sorry."

She didn't say anything else as she walked past the two immortals. Orochimaru wasn't sure where she was heading until she turned her head up to him. Yes... this was the moment. His moment of victory.

"Orochimaru."

Her words were empty.

The mirror had done its job. It had taken her soul... her mind... her dreams... her emotions... and locked them inside. Too deep for anyone to reach again.

"Yoru... I'm glad you decided to re—"

Orochimaru came to an abrupt stop as he registered what was happening.

The girl was looking up at him. Her eyes burned brightly. Tears falling out. Her mouth shaped into a soundless scream. She slowly fell to the ground once again. Her face buried into her knees and her hands pulling at her hair.

Kabuto was right enough. She's not sane right now.

"Brat. Do you know what you've done?" Kakuzu snapped as he turned and took in the sight as well. His eyes revealed no pity... no sympathy, as he stared down at the girl. Right now, she was just another enemy who had killed a member of the Akatsuki.

She was a traitor just like any other.

Hidan, however, didn't seem to have grasped the idea yet.