Part 24

She stood there in front of me like nothing was of any matter. Her short hair was black and messy, her bangs slanted and uneven, almost like she chopped them with a kunai. She was skinny and pale, her black eyes hiding in the darkness. She was tall but not too tall. There was a dangerous vibe around her and a cold, humourless look on her face.

"Yoru..."

I opened my mouth but just as I was about to call her name... she said it. She looked at me and said "Yoru".

"Don't call someone like me with that name..." The words spilt out before going through my head. This was dangerous... but I didn't stop myself either.

I wasn't supposed to hate her. I wasn't supposed to be feeling the stone sink deeper into my stomach, drilling the hole through the intestines and deep into my tissue. I wasn't supposed to want to leap at her with fury.

Fury for what?

For sitting in a test tube for 6 years? For existing? For being the original?

It wasn't her fault. I understood that. I saw glimpses of her in my dreams. I saw glimpses of the memories that I was supposed to have... I understood and learned about the real me. Who I am supposed to be. The way I'm supposed to act... that dull face that I'm supposed to put on everyday...

The corridor was empty except for us... the two identical girls.

"First, to get this out of the way. I hate you. You're a thief... and I despise them. You stole my life... you stole my name... you're supposed to be me yet you're better. I hate you. Despise you. And I want to kill you."

Shocker... same here.

I considered saying that but then I looked at her face again and hate covered my mind once more. Humour? Smiles? She's not worthy enough to listen to the jokes I give.

"I'm glad we feel the same way."

It sounded lame. Stupid. But somehow with my eloquence, I couldn't think of anything else. I could've said multiple things. Threats. Curses. Fuck. Bitch... but I decided to talk casually??

Then, she laughed. I stared at the girl in front of me and tried to remember the sound that had just escaped from her lips. It was a chuckle. A small giggle. It was hopeless, full of despair. But she had laughed. Why? WHY? Why?????

"Orochimaru told me you were dangerous. He told me you stole my life... he told me I would get it back in four years time. He told me he would repay the four years I had lost. He had lied to me. I had been there for six years, not four. And I realized soon enough that there was no way your powers could transfer into me... and lastly, I realized that I would never have eyes as you do... It hit me hard. It was like disappointment. In myself. In the world. In Orochimaru. And a subtle hate for him."

I grabbed the hilt of my sword and pulled it out. The girl tensed for a second but composed herself again and continued to talk. I made no motion to move or leave as she continued her mindless blabbering.

"He's a manipulator and we're the puppets. The shadows we cast off damages and wounds the world. The swords and weapons we wield are used to terrify, to kill, to influence, to destroy. Yet our story is one of creation... don't you agree?"

I smirked. Creation.

"How poetic, I never knew I was supposed to be a poet."

"You're not me, not even like me, I'd like to make that clear."