Part 13

Kakashi threw the katana onto the ground with disgust. Yoru had looked at him with her red eyes and screamed. She was scared. And she was staring right at the katana. What made him think he could trust those two children? The air around them was dangerous. And yet Kakashi had taken the katana with him, thinking it would do no harm???

"Kakashi-sensei! Are you okay? Who was that girl?"

Sakura's worried little voice flew into his ears but he ignored her. Yoru.

She was back.

She was alive.

And he'd made her hate him again.

He rubbed his temples and looked down at the three genin. Naruto was in his own world. Sasuke's eyes were on the katana, almost hungrily. Sakura was worriedly gazing at Sasuke.

If Kakashi had known that this mission involved anything to do with Momochi Zabuza and the Gato Company, he would've told the Third Hokage and given the mission to the Anbu.

"GO AWAY! NEVER... never let me see you again."

Kakashi winced slightly and pressed his hand onto his chest again. It was pounding. And the pain was building.

"Sakura, can you go find Tazuna-kun, please? I believe he's in the neighbouring house." Kakashi asked the girl and she nodded furiously before darting out of the room. Naruto followed her shadow with his pure blue eyes and blinked several times, trying to get his gaze off the girl.

"Sasuke, you can examine the katana if you want," Kakashi offered but Sasuke snapped his head away from the katana, pretending that he wasn't interested.

"Kakashi-sensei... that girl... isn't she a Konoha shinobi?" Naruto suddenly asked in a tone unlike him. It was serious. And troubled.

"She— Do you know her?" Kakashi threw a question back and Naruto widened his eyes in an almost day-dream like gaze.

"She came to my room before! To chat. I think I've met her... two times! Two times in total. She believed me and she was strong. She said I could become to Hokage!" Naruto said enthusiastically, a smile suddenly taking over his face. Yoru had never told him that she'd seen Naruto before. "She's really strong and I wanted her to be my sensei... but she refused and... she ran away the first time..." Naruto rambled on. Sasuke was now listening quietly, his head slightly turning towards Naruto. "She said she was a monster and that she'll kill everyone... but then she came back four years later! I remember her because her eyes are pretty and red! She came and encouraged me! She said she would tell me her name when I became Hokage!" Naruto finished, his face flushed red.

Yoru said that?

Kakashi smiled a little as he imagined her usual deadly gaze and sour expression. It was a miracle what lies behind her surface.

"Her chakra sense was strong... but it seems as though if she was still struggling to hide it." Sasuke noted and Kakashi nodded. The young Uchiha's observations were good. It was true. To people who didn't know Yoru's real powers, it would seem like she wasn't that good at hiding her scent... but to people who did... Kakashi could clearly detect how little of her actual chakra she had shown to them. Sasuke, seeing his observation didn't seem to impress anyone, pressed on.

"That female shinobi we met earlier... she was the same person as this girl... It has to be strong genjutsu for Kakashi-sensei to not even detect. If she was from Konoha, there would be no meaning for her to hide her face in front of Kakashi-sensei. But she did. Which proves that she knows Kakashi-sensei but does not wish to be revealed. The most likely possibility is that she had been a Konoha shinobi but betrayed the village."