Part 58

"You're going to go after Naruto...?"

Itachi glared back. Kisame was still battling Kurenai and Asuma, leaving us alone. He didn't seem hostile... but nowhere near accepting either. He was merely there.

"Of course. That's my mission. Capture the Nine-Tails," Itachi answered, his unwavering eyes turning to look into mine. I quickly looked away.

"I won't place a genjutsu on you. I have no intentions in meddling with your business"

I scoffed, gently messaging my broken wrist.

"And who was the one threatening to kill me moments ago..." I leaned onto a neighbouring tree. Itachi shrugged, letting out a small chuckle.

"Yoru... the same old Yoru." Itachi sighed walking towards me, a smile lingering on his lips.

"Don't look at me like that," I muttered.

"Like what? This?" Itachi asked as he arched his eyebrows up.

"No... just."

"Just?"

"Forget it." I spat out as I turned away. This whole talk is ridiculous. This is a battleground and they're bickering like little kids.

"Go."

"What?"

"Just go. I'll take care of Asuma and Kurenai."

"Why should I accept your help?"

"... You shouldn't but you will."

"..."

I looked up at Itachi and smiled. My face was sour but I tried.

After all, this may be the last time I see him. And after all... he'll always be my friend.

Itachi shook his head silently and glanced down at Kakashi.

"If you're going to protect Kakashi like this all his life, he might become a spoiled middle-aged man."

"Who said I'll protect him all his life? And isn't he already..."

For a moment, Itachi straightened his back and let out a small cough. His eyes met mines before quickly turning back to Kakashi.

"Everything will be much simpler if you want me gone."

"Then go."

Itachi turned around swiftly, sending out a huge fireball towards the trio battling on the waters. Kisame turned and disengaged, darting towards land again.

"Bye."

Itachi didn't look back as he followed Kisame away.

Kurenai and Asuma seemed to finally come to their senses, realizing their current situation. Turning, they rushed towards Kakashi and me, the two of them so united...

"I mean no harm."

Asuma smirked, holding his dislodged arm in one hand and Kurenai's hand in the other. Kurenai ended up much worse. Having directly taken a hit on her back from Kisame, she was barely keeping her eyes open and knees from melting.

"How about a compromise?"

"Compromise... with the likes—" Kurenai broke off into a coughing fit as she tried to step up. Asuma let out a small sigh before finally turning to me.

"Your conditions?'

"Take Kakashi away. Don't come near me... or those two." I nodded towards the direction in which Itachi and Kisame had left.