Part 49

When my eyes sluggishly opened again, I found myself standing rigidly, my arms raised to maintain the Four Flames Formation. My legs gave up again as my true mind took control over my body. My two arms were already sour and oxygen-deprived as I wrung them, trying to get the blood flowing.

Only until then did I start gazing around. What I saw was the entire interior of the formation filled with tree trunks and vines, obstructing my view of the inside. I activated my eyes and looked. What greeted me again was beautiful darkness and more pain.

I clutched my chest as I stumbled back again. What in the world is going on? Since the start of Orochimaru-sama and the Old Man's battle, my chakra has been draining away. Even now, I could feel more and more being lapped away.

Just as I was about to sit down and rest, the echoing screech started in my brain. My eyes instantly widened as I forced them to work. It felt as though if something snapped... but everything was too loud to care for minor things like that.

The screeching continued as my eyes tore through more and more trunks and branches until finally...

what I saw was utter...

well

despair.

The Third Hokage was holding Orochimaru-sama by his shoulders, blood splattered all over his front side. Except, the arm was there.

The arm, piercing through the dying Old Man's body.

into Orochimaru

the arm covered with seals

the deathly colour

The demons hovering behind.

Everything linked together.

I gathered my lost strings of chakra and forcefully tied them together, somehow gathering enough strength to give half of my remaining chakra to keep up the formation, and the other half to jump through the interior walls and run to Orochimaru-sama.

The blood pounded in my ears as I passed tree after tree, bark after bark.

the dead forest seemed endless.

but Orochimaru-sama was on the other side.

And I had to go.

my duty,

my responsibility.

My life source.

Grabbing Orochimaru-sama's sword off of the ground, I whirled myself in front between the frozen two, pulling at the hand gabbing Orochimaru's shoulder. The Old Man widened his eyes as Orochimaru-sama smirked.

Yes...

I'm a tool... I'm a tool for these purposes.

And I must fulfill my job.