Part 46

"Taichou... would you be angry if I killed myself?"

Kakashi's eyes flickered momentarily onto my face before looking away coldly. Well, I'm used to this anyways. It's not like the Anbu will truly take me in anyway. The village puts on the show and I follow their script to act like they want me to, the puppet on the string, bleeding as it dances to its death. The one week I've stayed in this goddamn village has already altered me. 

But then again, that too might only be my imagination. My relentless imagination forcing my mind again and again back to that base. Back to the past.

"Hey, Kakashi. Do you have anyone you care about?"

He'll leave that question hanging again.

Someone as cold as him... how could he have any life outside of this dark system of manipulation and control?

"They're all gone. You're the only person I've cared about in a while."

"Me?" Laughing, I launched the kunai straight onto the bullseye. "That's not funny."

"I didn't mean for it to be. Do you know how much effort and mind it takes to make sure a rookie and outsider like you don't destroy the village?" Kakashi muttered, releasing his own shurikens angrily onto the target.

"No. I've never had to take care of someone before," I responded. Kakashi gave no further words.

"Kakashi-taichou, Team Ro has completed the daily training routines," Uchiha Itachi stepped up between us almost moments after I prepared to speak again. This boy... his strength and knowledge irritated me.

Yet he's the only person I could understand. And maybe... he would understand me too.

"Good. You all are dismissed until the mission tonight," Kakashi ordered. Everyone scattered after that, leaving only Itachi, Kakashi, and I standing in the middle of the training grounds.

"Itachi-kun~ Do you have anyone that's valuable?" I asked loudly, making sure Kakashi was also paying attention. The boy paused for a moment before giving an answer.

"My clan. My family. My brother. The village. Everyone."

I smiled coldly.

"Everyone? Are you going to take responsibility for everyone's lives then? What about Kana, I killed her didn't I? And where were you?"

His eyes narrowed before, in a split second, all hints of irritation disappeared from his face.

"At least, now I have to be responsible for your life."

"My life? And how much is that worth?"

His pure eyes met mine as we stared at each other.

"It cannot be valued. And nor can everyone else's. You should learn that..."

With that, he leapt away back towards the Uchiha Compound.

"You should learn your own value, Yoru. Don't let us define you," Kakashi said with a sigh, resting himself down onto the grass and taking out a small book from inside his Anbu uniform.

"And you should value your innocent 18+ mind," I spat back.