Part 42

"Chidori!!!!" The silver-haired jonin yelled as he rushed towards the boulder the size of a house, lightening like a thousand birds erupting from his palms and fingertips. He struck out at the rock and there was a crisp crack as it broke open. The raven-haired boy stood far behind, observing the power in the hit.

"Like this," Kakashi explained and stepped back, narrowly avoiding the falling pieces of rock and rubble. He let out a deep breath and looked up at the sky, remembering the time when he first learned this trick. Newly attaining his Sharingan, he had tried to copy the Rasengan but that was the furthest he got. In order to combine it with his lightening release was nearly impossible until he discovered Chidori. He remembered the fear, the guilt of each day passing.

Somehow, those memories were surfacing again.

Was it because of her?

...

"Kakashi-sensei, can we start practising?" Sasuke asked impatiently, already flexing his shoulders to try out the new jutsu. During the one month period until the Third Exam, Kakashi had taken up the job to train Sasuke. He wanted— no, needed Sasuke to master his chakra control as to not rely on Orochimaru's "seal". If he did, who knows where he'll follow Orochimaru to. Maybe he'll even give up his life like Yoru did, although he's fairly sure that the young Uchiha has more common sense than Yoru. To fall to levels of Orochimaru... god knows what she's been through.

"Hey, is this Hatake Kakashi?"

Kakashi quickly whirled around, mid-way through a prompt 'yes?'. By the corner of his eyes, Kakashi caught Sasuke's eyes widening behind him, his pupils shaking with uncertainty and... confusion?

"It's been a long time."

His breath froze midway as he gazed at the girl before him. He hadn't expected her to come and find him. Especially with Sasuke around.

She smiled at him and held out her hand. Her simple black hair was as dishevelled and untended to as before—long before. Her red eyes reflected his almost pitiful posture, half crooked to the side but frozen, unable to move beneath her gaze. Smirking, Yoru dropped her hand and simply sat down onto the rocky surface of the cliff. Kakashi shivered and took a step back.

He knew nothing, absolutely nothing, of this girl before him. She was 17, or 18... but she looked the same. Almost identical... except for some of the newly added scars to her arms, and legs. Her eyes.

They had always captivated him.

...

Captivated?

What was he thinking?

She's the enemy now.

Who knows how many hundreds, thousands, she's killed under Orochimaru?

...

He was afraid.

Afraid of what her presence brings this time.

...

"Kakashi-taichou... or, Kakashi-sensei. Which do you prefer?"

"Kakashi is fine."

The girl smiled again. Her smile had evolved over the years.

He remembered her hostile face in the circle of Anbu shinobi, holding his katana, standing before the Uchiha genius years, years ago. Uchiha Itachi. The S-ranked criminal now rose from those ashes. The seed he had planted years ago had now flourished into a tree. Yet he was now afraid of what he brought.

His decision.

"You do hate me." The girl muttered and laid down onto the rock. The sun shone down onto the three. The Uchiha boy had fallen silent behind Kakashi.