Part 52

"Kakashi-san, let me go. I'm one of the legendary Sannin, Sarutobi's student... I have the freedom to see the murderer of Sarutobi-sensei."

The man before Kakashi had lost his senses. He could feel it. The normal Jiraiya-sama had receded inside, letting his bare desires run wild. And this is exactly why he, Hatake Kakashi, can't allow him inside.

At least that's what Kakashi tried to convince himself of.

"Jiraiya-sama, all visitors need to be approved by the Konoha Council. Despite we are missing a Hokage currently, it is dire that..."

"Kakashi-sensei!"

Kakashi's head snapped around as he saw Naruto crawling around the corner, a scarf wrapped around his face like a makeshift shinobi.

"What are you d—... Jiraiya-sama! To bring Naruto here is!"

Jiraiya held a hand up, his brow scrunching together as he turned to Naruto with a half-serious smile.

"Naruto, this is not a place for a genin to be. Please return home. It's not safe outside yet. I believe I've told this to your whole team yet you are the one to have snuck out and followed me... I can't believe this." Jiraiya muttered as he tried to shove Naruto out.

"I heard that the monster who killed the Hokage-sama is kept here."

Kakashi took in another stabilizing breath.

Monster...... is this what the genins have been spreading around?

"Naruto, that's enough fooling around for today." Kakashi barked, letting his eyes lock with Naruto's. The boy shivered a little and retreated behind the corner, only to come back out moments later, his blue eyes shining with determination again.

"I— I want to see it."

"What?"

"It... the monster. I want to see it." Naruto muttered, his eyes dropping lower and lower.

"It's not a monster. It's a girl." Kakashi corrected. He didn't see the point in doing that but... but still... It pained him hearing someone call Yoru a monster.

"Kakashi-kun... maybe..."

Kakashi raised his head in surprise. He didn't think Jiraiya-sama would agree to let Naruto even one step within this corridor. He shook his head gently and let out a deep breath.

Technically, no one could prevent him from letting them in. After all, he was the one put in charge of Yoru's imprisonment and execution. But he can't possibly let anyone see her in her tattered state. At least he had to give her the last of her dignity... before she dies. He opened his mouth to refute—

"TAICHOU! Something... somethings wrong!"

Kakashi whirled around, the Anbu guard from Yoru's cell came sprinting through the darkness. Despite wearing a mask, Kakashi could hear the distraught in his voice.

"Jiraiya-sama..."

"Let's go!" Jiraiya shouted without hesitation as he sprinted forward. Kakashi turned and followed. Having the Sannin around now suddenly seemed to be less of a burden... What if Yoru had suddenly changed her mind about the obedience she has been displaying so far?

The Anbu guard reluctantly pursued Kakashi back into the dark corridors.

"Jiraiya-sama! This way!" Kakashi yelled to the Sannin ahead, who was already halfway down the wrong turn. The old man didn't seem to pause for one second before turning around and returning back on track.

Turning another final corner, the three reached her cell door. It was quiet inside and even with his Sharingans activated, Kakashi didn't detect anything special about Yoru's chakra.