Stay

The Joker died a few days after turning 38; it was a gruesome end due to an unexpected ambush plotted by several gangs that didn't want him around anymore. But he is not completely gone: once a year you can bring him back for just 24 hours. And soon this won't be possible either because the unexpected illness is going to claim your life. There will be nobody left to bring him back, unless...

You hesitated showing him what you can do: you were afraid The Joker will freak out and chase you away

You hesitated showing him what you can do: you were afraid The Joker will freak out and chase you away. But he didn't; J thought it was amazing. If anything, it made The King of Gotham even more interested in you.

"How did you do that, Princess?!" his eyes got big each time you brought small beings back to life: your puppy, his favorite goldfish, Frost's cat or that cute parrot Panda had.

"I'm not sure," you lifted your shoulders up. "I wish it and it happens."

"That's awesome!" J watched in awe, entirely submersed in his girlfriend's special gift."Can you bring back people?!" he would always ask, even if your answer didn't change:

"I never tried because there is no person I want to bring back."

************

But after The Joker was assassinated, you finally had somebody your heart desired to bring back. You were so miserable and depressed on your 31stbirthday: the first one he wasn't there for in the three years you've been together.

You only bought a cupcake with a small candle you blew out while crying, alone and desperate:

"I wish for J to come back," you whispered to yourself, not knowing if it will work or not.

You opened your eyes in the morning and gasped: he was in bed on his side, asleep. Not completely there - mostly like a projection of his body. You could see through him and when you tried to touch his face your fingers touched nothing but air. The Joker didn't seem aware of your presence, didn't opened his eyes at all. His unearthly, temporary existence kept you glued in bed the whole day; you called his name repeatedly but he didn't hear you. Maybe there was nothing there and you were hallucinating... Who knew?...

Yet...you could feel him beside you, he even smelled like his cologne. You started crying the next morning when J suddenly vanished, leaving nothing behind but a heartbroken Y/N that couldn't understand why he wasn't there for longer. You were able to summon him back for exactly 24 hours.

Afterwards you wished for him to come back on a daily basis without success. Why wasn't it working?... Did you lose your ability?... Maybe it worked different on humans?...Did it take a lot of energy to bring back a person? Did you ran out and had to recharge?...Nobody to answer the questions since it was a mystery to even the owner of such a tremendous and scary power.

On your next birthday, you wished for him to be alive and this time it worked, exactly a year after his first arrival. Not a day sooner.

You woke up next morning and stopped breathing for a few seconds: The Joker was there again, resting, peacefully holding on to your waist. You caressed his green hair and he opened his eyes, tired.