Chapter 58

"Hattie, can I use your phone?" Adam asks. "I have to find out what's going on."

"Sure, Sweetie, it's behind the counter." Hattie tells him.

"Honey, you know what's going on." Tim says looking up at his husband as the blonde stands.

"I'm kinda hoping that Chris wouldn't stoop that low. Maybe is just a glitch in their computer system." Adam says with a slight shrug of his shoulders.

"Stoop that low? Seriously? Angel, you're talking about someone who pushed you down on purpose and broke your ankle." Tim says.

"Yeah, I know." Adam says sadly. "Well, I'm fixing to find out." He turns and heads toward the counter. He nods hello to Mark and Bob as they walk into the cafe.

"What's wrong with Blondie? He doesn't look too happy." Bob says as they join Tim at the table.

"His brother has reared his ugly head again." Tim replies.

"You want us to kill him?" Bob asks.

"What has he done this time?" Mark asks.

"He called the bank pretending to be Adam and had his bank card canceled." Tim answers.

"What an asshole." Mark says, shaking his head. "And a dumb one at that. Banks normally record conversations like that. Does he not think that Adam will fight back?"

"They probably have the number that the call was made from too." Hattie adds and Mark nods in agreement. "Just about every time you call a bank there is a recording that says that your call may be recorded and monitored."

"I've never dealt with a bank before so I wouldn't know." Tim says as he shakes his head. He just realized that his friends, the ones that Chris calls stupid Cajuns, slugs or swamp rats, were actually smarter than he was.

Adam huffs as he sits back down next to his husband.

"Well?" Tim asks.

"Apparently, they received a call from an Adam Rupp claiming that he had lost his card and needed it canceled." Adam says. "The call came in at about 11:35. That was about ten minutes after I hung up from him this morning."

"What an asshole. Do you want us to kill him?" Bob asks.

"No." Adam chuckles. "I also called my lawyer. He said that we could easily get a court order for all the records from the bank. He could file the legal papers to get the call history from Chris's phone. But...."

"But what.." Tim replies.

"Uh, we have to go to Minnesota." Adam says with an apologetic look.

"How? We don't have the money to get to Minnesota, Sweetie." Tim says. "And no telling how long we would have to stay there."

"We'll come up with something." Adam says with a smile. "Just don't start worrying about it, okay? You'll give yourself one of those headaches. Come on. Let's just go home."

Tim reaches into his back pocket for his wallet. He wasn't sure how much cash he had but hopefully, it was enough to pay for their meal.

"Don't even think about it, Timmy." Hattie says as she picks up their ticket and tears it up.

"Hattie..." Tim says, shaking his head.

"If you insist on paying? You can pay when you guys get all this sh*t straightened out." Hattie says with a smile.

"We'll get it straightened out. My lawyer said that Chris wasn't being too smart by doing this. He could even get jail time." Adam says. "He left too much evidence. He doesn't think I'll do anything about it. But he's wrong."