Chapter 39

Tim slips on his rubber knee boots as Adam goes to answer the knock on the door. He wasn't in the best of moods. No, he and Tim had not been fighting.

He was just overly worried about his husband. Tim was leaving with Bob to refresh his memory about hunting gators. Gator hunting was a very dangerous business. And Tim didn't have the best track record in avoiding danger. It seemed to follow him.

Adam jerks the door open and stares up at the much taller bearded man.

"Is your old man ready?" Bob asks.

"Let me tell you something, Bayou Bob." Adam says through gritted teeth. "If you allow him to get hurt in any way, there will be nowhere for you to hide. Understand?" Adam asks with a raised brow.

"Okay? I'm honestly scared." Bob says as he looks down at the blue-eyed blond.

"You probably need to be, cause I'm pretty sure he means it." Tim chuckles as he walks up beside his husband. He leans in and kisses Adam on the cheek as he pats him on the butt. "Don't worry your pretty head, Angel Face. I've done this before. I'll be fine."

"Can you at least tell me what all goes on during hunting gators, please?" Adam asks with a worried look.

"Well, I baited the hooks yesterday. I have them tied to branches or fallen trees in the swamp. One person pulls in the rope, hoping there's a gator on the other end. The other person waits with a gun. The person pulling the gator in tries to get the gator's head up so the other person can shoot it. Simple." Bob says with a smile.

"Don't sound too simple to me." Adam says and then let's go of a sigh. "Sorry if I seem a little over-protective. I've seen him hurt more times than I care to count."

"I know." Bob nods. "But I promise I'll bring him home breathing and all in one piece."

"You better." Adam says with a smirk. He turns his attention to his husband, kissing him softly. "Good luck."

He watches as the two Cajuns get into Bob's old truck. He smiles and waves as Tim throws him a kiss.

"You know he's a big boy, right?" Austin says from the couch.

"Even big boys sometimes need watching after." Adam says as he watches the truck drive away.

"Tim used to hunt gators, Adam. He was very good at it. The only injury I ever saw was blisters or rope burns on his hands." Austin says.

"It takes two people, right? I know Tim doesn't have many friends so who went with him?" Adam asks as he sat down on the other side of the couch.

"You ain't going to believe it." Austin laughs as he shakes his head. 

"Who?" Adam asks with a smile.

"Sometimes Jenika went and other times Sami went." Austin chuckles. "They would do the shooting while Tim pulled in their catch."

"Wow, that is hard to believe." Adam smiles. "Olena? You never went?"

"No." Olena laughs shaking her head. "I may fish and I've been known to go trapping or hunting with the guys but hunting gators is not my thing."

"What kind of hunting do y'all do?" Adam asks. 

"Deer, turkey even rabbit and squirrel." Austin answers. "Anything to put food on the table. You have to remember Tim and I grew up poor. We couldn't afford many groceries. Hunting kept us from starving."

"I used to go hunting with my dad when I was younger." Adam smiles at the memory. "He was so proud of me when I killed my first buck."

"You're welcome to go with us." Austin says with a smile.