Megabondshipping

Alain stood at the top of the Lumiose Gym, Lysandre a few yards away from him, holding Ash by the throat. He was clearly starting to lose consciousness, making Alain panic. 

"Lysandre, leave him alone! He has nothing to do with this!"

Ash's head started to hang backwards. His cap slipped off his hair and onto the floor. His grip on Lysandre's hands loosened.

"Lysandre!"

Ash's hand fell. His head hung. His cold clouds of breath stopped coming out of his mouth.

Alain fell to his knees, sobbing. He should've gone in there and saved Ash. He couldn't. As soon as he'd seen the gun in Lysandre's hands, he was convinced to stay put. Lysandre pointed that very weapon at him, alarming him as he had nowhere to go. His Pokemon were all defeated, and he was at the top of the highest building in the city. His only friend, who happened to be the one he cared about most, was hanging lifelessly by the throat from Lysandre's hand.

"Time to get rid of you too", Lysandre cackled as he got ready to pull the trigger. More tears fell from Alain's face.

'At least I'll get to join Ash. We can both be happy'

Soon enough, Alain heard a gunshot. However, he didn't feel any pain. Slowly, he looked up.

There, in Lysandre's hands, was the gun, pointed towards the bleeding throat of a young boy with black hair. His hand was on Lysandre's arm, shaking. Lysandre's grip on his throat loosened, causing the boy to fall to his feet, his arm reaching out for the man sitting in tears. His petrified eyes released countless tears, but, above it all, he showed one last warm smile before falling backwards, the blood from his throat pouring down onto the ground.

'Did...did he just...move Lysandre's arm...to shoot...himself?'

Lysandre took several steps back in shock, but quickly collected himself and flew off the building with his flimsy jet pack. Alain ran up to Ash, fell to his side and shook him.

"Ash...Ash...Ash..."

A thousand tears were shed every time he said his name. There was nothing. Not even a pulse.

"He sacrificed himself for me...he sacrificed...himself...for...me..."

He held him by the collar, staring teary eyed as his lifeless face.

"Why did you do that? Why? Why did you save me, you stupid boy? You knew I love you...I know you did...why..."

He cried alone at the top of the tower with no consolation until he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned to look at it. A pale, shaking hand, wearing a glove. His gasp echoed through the skies. He felt another hand on his back, and soon, he found himself in the embrace of the person he was crying for. 

"Well...sorry for being stupid"

Alain finally allowed himself to cry out loud as he clenched Ash's small waist and arms. He rested his chin on Ash's head, his tears slipping onto it. He had Ash to console him now. Even better, he no longer had anything to mourn for. Having his hand touch his shoulder was enough consolation to last a lifetime. He could hardly speak.

"I...I thought you were..."

"Alain, I'd never leave you like that. I'd hate for someone to mourn for me"

He was now slightly chuckling in happiness and ruffling Ash's hair playfully, his spirits successfully lifted. The moment was high.

"Why did you do that, you idiot?"

"Sorry, I just thought you needed those few seconds of oxygen more than I did"

Alain pulled away from him to face his smile.

"You really value lives, don't you, Ash?"

"Every life but my own"

"How did you know you weren't going to die?"

"I didn't. I just thought that by the time Lysandre would've shot you, I'd be fully unconscious and wouldn't be able to do anything, so he would've shot me too, and we'd both be on the floor bleeding. I thought if only one of us got shot, he'd know the other would be too upset to fight back, and he'd just leave, so I figured that would be me. I knew that if I didn't wake up, you would've moved on eventually, because you're strong, Alain. That's why I smiled. Just in case that was the last smile I could give you"

Alain was so impressed and touched at the same time that he couldn't help but pull Ash back into his arms again and squeeze him.

"When will you value your own life?"

Ash took a moment, but then held Alain's hand and smiled.

"When someone else does"