The Things We Do For Love

Two weeks later ....

Kelley waits with Penny at the Atlanta airport for her flight to London to be called.

"Thanks for letting me stay with you last night Kel."

"You are always welcome at my apartment, I'm glad your connection was through Atlanta, so I could see you before you left."

"Funny how it worked out that we were both in Atlanta at the same time."

"Well, considering Atlanta is my home, it would make sense that I'm here."

"True."

"I'm going to miss you Pen, I really wish you weren't going to be away for so long."

"I know, but it just doesn't make sense for me to go for two games, come back and then fly back over in another two weeks for the next games. Not to mention it will give me time to close my flat and ship stuff home."

"Your parents know they can call me if they need anything and I'll be on the first flight, right?"

"They do and very much appreciate your offer as do I."

"You are going to call me when you arrive?"

"It will be the middle of the night, I'll message you."

"I'm not going to sleep until I know you are safe, so call me ok?"

"I will."

The women hug and hold each other until Penny's flight is called. When Penny goes to leave Kelley pulls her back and kisses her on the lips. "Be safe, beautiful."

Back at her apartment, Kelley needs company and calls on her sister Erin to join her. Being the good sister, she is, she stops en route and hooks them up with Chick Fil A knowing that it is her sister's favourite cheat food. She lets herself in with the key Kelley gave her and plops the food down in front of her.

"Well, you look like crap. What's going on Squirrel? You didn't relapse, did you?"

Kelley grabs her food and starts shovelling it in, "I didn't relapse, I fell in love."

Erin starts laughing at her.

"You find that funny?"

"You make falling in love sound like a bad thing Kel."

"It is when your relationship isn't real."

"You lost me, how is your relationship not real?"

Kelley fills Erin in on all the details of her and Penny's arrangement. Erin listens and reacts to it

"Ok, so let me get this all straight, yes I know you aren't. You asked a woman, your teammate no less to fake date you and you ended up falling in love with her?"

"Yeah, that about sums it up."

"So, really the only question I have for you is, what the hell are you doing sitting here with me right now, when it's obvious you would rather be with her? Get your shit together and get your ass on a plane to England, find your woman and tell her you love her."

"I have obligations for the next week, but I could fly in ahead of her first game and surprise her."

"Then do it! Where's your laptop, we are booking a flight before you change your mind."

6 days later and Kelley is aboard a plane bound for London. She called on the expertise of USWNT and former Manchester City player Carli Lloyd in an attempt to help her navigate how to get to Nottingham from London. She still has no idea where she will stay when she arrives, but one thing at a time. Arriving in London she checks into a hotel recommended to her by the flight attendant and drops her bag off before heading back out to see the sites and grab something to eat. It's gotten dark out now in the city, so Kelley decides to make her way back to the hotel and use the wifi to arrange a train ticket for the first trip out.