SheBelieves

Two days later finds the United States playing Japan in the opening match of the SheBelieves Cup at Talen Energy Stadium in Chester, PA. Penny watches the opening of the match while at her hotel, prior to heading to the stadium for the evening contest between England and Brazil. Penny is excited and nervous as she has now been dubbed the #1 for the Lionesses, which comes with a ton of added pressure.

The whistle blows and the game begins, between the US wearing their blue kits and the team from Japan wearing all white.

The US has an early opportunity, in the 4th minute when Tobin is able to get Mal Pugh the ball deep in the box, the Japanese defender is able to get just enough contact on the Pugh's shot to render it an easy save for the keeper.

The team from Japan presses the US team and in the 10th minute, they get in deep when the US drops their coverage. The Japanese player is able to get a clean shot off that beats Alyssa Naeher cleanly only to have it clank off the crossbar and stay out.

In the 23rd minute, Tobin Heath takes the ball deep into the opposition end and proceeds to out muscle them prior to cutting the ball back through traffic to Megan Rapinoe, who then directs the ball into a wide-open net.

In the 39th minute Rapinoe takes a free kick from just outside the box and directs a shot labelled for the corner of the net, Japanese keeper Yamane is able to get her fingertips on it and direct it out.

On the ensuing corner kick, Rapinoe opts to kick the ball to the top of the box and let Abby Dahlkemper try her luck from distance. Dahlkemper isn't able to take it cleanly and directs a floater over the net.

At the half, Kelley who has been dealing with an ankle injury and has managed minutes is subbed out in favour of Emily Sonnett and watches the balance of the game from the bench.

In the meantime, Penny and the rest of the Lionesses are boarding their team bus in preparation for the drive to the stadium.

After the half, the Japanese keeper Yamane continues to stand tall and manages to cut off a few more US chances.

In the 63rd minute, the US wastes a perfect opportunity after Rapinoe misdirects a corner kick from Lavelle, outside the post.

In the 67th minute, Japan gets on the board when they are able to capitalize on a sloppy clearance attempt by Tierna Davidson.

In the 75th minute, Japan works on their highlight reel when a backheel pass, leaves the player all alone; unfortunately, she sends the shot wide.

In the 77th minute, Christen Press, presses the Japanese defender and intercepts the ball, crossing it over to Alex in the box, who makes no mistake in directing the ball to the netting behind a stationary Yamane.

They playback and forth until the 91st minute when the Japanese team draws out and dissects the US defence, forcing Crystal Dunn to shift her coverage and leaving a player wide open, to put the ball past Alyssa Naeher and tie things up.

Carli Lloyd has a late opportunity but isn't able to get much on the shot and it's an easy save for Yamane.

The first game of the SheBelieves Cup ends in a 2 – 2 draw between the hosts from United States and the team from Japan.

Up next England takes to the pitch to play Brazil.

Kelley finishes up with her post-game and searches out her keeper. She finds Penny getting warmed up along with Carly and Mary Earps. She wraps her arms around her from behind scaring Penny at first. Penny turns around and smiles when she sees it's her wife.

"Good game, Kel. How's the ankle feeling?"

"Thanks, it feels good, iced it down at the half. How are you feeling?"