Busy

The NWSL Preseason gets underway as Penny and her team from Man City compete for both the FA and Women's Cup.

Unable to find a reliable means to watch or listen to Penny's games, Kelley is relegated to waiting for her wife to send her messages and updating their progress and scores. From the highlights that she is able to find and watch, Kelley can tell that Man City are in top form as is the woman between the pipes for them.

On this particular afternoon, Kelley and the Utah Royals are in Long Beach, California taking on Long Beach State. Penny had sent her a message previously that the coaching staff was giving her today's game off to allow her to get some rest in advance of the WSL Cup Final in 3 days time. Kelley goes about her regular game-day routine with Christen and Corsie. As they are riding the bus to the stadium, Kelley's phone begins ringing

"Hey, Babe how was the game?"

"Hey, we beat Everton 3 – 1. I hate watching from the sidelines, Kel."

"I know, it sucks, but you need to be in tip-top shape for the Final."

"I get it, so how's your day going?"

"Alright, currently on our way to the stadium."

"Kel, I'm being called, I have to go. Love you, good luck today, message me later, ok?"

"Love you too Pen, and I will. Bye, beautiful."

"Bye, Kel."

Kelley puts her head back on the seat, adjusts her ear pods, and puts her playlist back on for the remainder of the ride.

The game against Long Beach State proves to be the Gunny Jónsdóttir show as the Icelandic National player knocks out a hat trick in under five minutes leading the Royals towards a 4 – 0 victory.

Sitting in a hotel room three days later, a significant number of the Royals players and staff members have gathered around the screen and are watching the WSL Cup Final with Penny's Manchester City side competing against a powerhouse team from Arsenal featuring names such as Kim Little, Beth Mead, Leah Williamson, and Vivienne Miedema leading the way and Dutch International goalkeeper, Sari van Veenendaal holding down the backline.

The first half is relatively uneventful with the teams just feeling each other out and they head to their rooms still scoreless.

"Whatcha thinking KO?"

"Just that I wish I was there with her Pressy. I hate that the only way I see my wife is through a screen, even though she looks incredibly hot in her kit.

The second half nears completion and the teams are still deadlocked at 0.

"We're supposed to be leaving soon for the Stadium, I'm going to call and push departure back as I'm sure none of us wants to leave just yet." Laura Harvey voices to the large group.

"Thanks, Coach."

Time expires and they are still scoreless, the teams play through the two extra time periods both keeping each other of the sheet.

Watching the screen all the players and coaches know what this means, it's all coming down to penalties.

"How's Penny on PK's?"

"I can't watch Pressy, I'm going for a walk." Kelley stands up and collects her phone before heading out in the hallway.

In Bramhall Lane, Penny and van Veenendaal are given their final instructions. The teams line up arm in arm at the midway point of the field. One by one they step up and take their shots.