The Trophy

3 days later and the two women are back on the pitch this time in Tampa, Florida.

England draws the early game against Japan. Kelley catches a cab from the hotel in order to be at the stadium to watch the start of the game.

In front of a rather sparse afternoon crowd, England comes out flying and directs several shots on target in the first 10 minutes of the game, keeping the Japanese keeper on her toes. Steph Houghton has a go and then Jodie Taylor fights off the defenders and directs one towards the goal, but no dice. Then in the 12th minute, Lucy Staniforth finally breaks the deadlock as she takes on 3 defenders in Blue and lets a shot go from the top of the penalty area which beats a diving Yamane to the bottom corner.

England continues to maintain possession and in the 23rd minute Jodie Taylor lays a perfect cross into the box and Karen Carney buries the header to make it a two-goal lead for the Lionesses.

In the 28th minute, Penny gets her first real touch of the ball after making a routine save. She is able to quickly turn the ball out and watch as her teammates head back deep into the opposite end. Two minutes later, Beth Mead dekes out a defender and fires a left-footed shot to the bottom corner past the outstretched arms of Yamane and into the netting behind.

Both teams have opportunities before the half but neither are able to hit the target.

Japan comes out after the half with more energy, but it doesn't make any difference as Penny makes 3 saves on her way to helping England secure the 3 – 0 victory over Japan.

Now it becomes a waiting game to see which team will finish on top with the Americans taking on Brazil in the later match.

Kelley watches the end of the match and then joins her teammates for pregame.

"How'd your girl play, Worms?" Kelley looks up to see Alex approaching her. "She really wasn't tested, made a couple of decent saves towards the end, but that's it."

"Nice. So, are you still planning on announcing your marriage?"

"Yeah, we agreed to just post something lowkey after the Tournament is over."

"How are you holding up?"

"It's hard Janice, but we are trying to make the most of our time together before she heads back to England and Man City."

Alex hugs her, "What was that for?"

"Just 'cause you looked like you needed one."

"Thanks, I really did."

New Message

Penny: Hey, good luck in your game. We are completing recovery and then heading back to the hotel to get cleaned up. I'll see you after your game, for the trophy presentation. May the odds be ever in your favour.

Kelley: You're a nerd, but I love you.

Penny: Love you too.

Kelley smiles as she tucks her phone away for safekeeping and then starts the process of getting ready for the game.

Kelley and the rest of the USWNT take to the field for their game against Brazil. Jill Ellis has opted to give Ashlyn Harris the start between the posts for the final game of the tournament with Alyssa Naeher still dealing with a slight shoulder injury. It proves to be a good choice as Harris has an outstanding game in goal for them.

In the 20th minute Alex Morgan gets behind the Brazilian defence forcing the keeper to come and challenge her, she banks the shot off of the keeper, however, the rebound bounces over to Tobin Heath and she makes no mistake firing the ball off the crossbar and into the back of the net.