Set The Record Straight

Skip ahead a few weeks, and the USWNT is competing in a couple of friendlies, first up is a game against France in Le Havre.

Kelley is going through her pregame routine in advance of the match when Alex comes over with a big grin on her face and pulls her arm towards the door of the changeroom.

Kelley takes her earbuds out, "What are you doing, and where are you taking me?"

"Someone is here to see you."

"Who?"

"You'll see." Alex leads her down the hallway and around a corner before making a quick exit, "PENNY!!" Kelley runs towards her wife and jumps in her arms, squeezing her tight before joining their lips and eventually dropping back down to the ground. Kelley can't help herself and wraps her arms around her again, placing her head on the taller women's shoulder and inhaling her familiar vanilla scent. "I'm so glad you're here; I've missed you so much beautiful." "I've missed you too."

Kelley steps back and takes her hand as they walk down the hall back towards the changeroom, "How long are you here for babe?" "Just tonight, and I need to catch the early train out in the morning and get back to England tomorrow, I have one game left with Man City before leaving for the Lionesses camp on Monday." "When is your game? I want to see it." "It's on Saturday." "Crap, we're going to be in Spain then. Maybe I'll opt-out of the next game, to come and watch." "I don't know if you should do that, Kel." "Jill has already indicated she wants to play the newbies, so I probably won't be missing out on much playing time." "We'll talk about it later, after your game."

"You're staying with me tonight." "That almost sounded like an order, not a request, Kel." "It's definitely an order, I need you in my bed tonight. Got a problem with that?" Penny looks at her and joins their lips in a quick kiss, "Nope. Now, I'm certain you need to get ready for your game; I'll see you afterwards, love you, good luck." "I love you too, I'll see you after." Kelley smiles as she watches her wife make her way down the hall and back out beyond security, presumably to find her seat for the game.

Kelley re-enters the changeroom with a grin plastered across her face and walks over to Alex, "Thank you." "Your welcome, Worms; you do know that our teammates are going to want to have a sit down with your wife after the game, right?" "Yeah, as long as the lecture doesn't take too long; I've really missed her." Alex rolls her eyes as Kelley's comment, knowing what's on her friend's mind isn't the game they are about to play, but the one she is hoping to play, back at the hotel.

Having nothing really to lose by tinkering with the starting lineup, USWNT Coach Jill Ellis makes some questionable choices and inserts many unproven players in an attempt to identify who is ready to make the jump to the team full-time. Kelley starts the game on the bench and watches on as Emily Fox, Becky Sauerbrunn, Abby Dahlkemper and Emily Sonnett start on the backline.

The choice to start Fox at right-back proves costly as 9 minutes into the game she is outpaced by a French player with the result being them taking an early one-goal lead.

The home team continue to press the Americans, with US keeper, Alyssa Naeher being forced to come up with some big saves to keep them in the game.

In the 56th minute France forward Diani lifts the ball over Naeher and into the netting for her second goal of the game. Then in the 78th minute, France goes up by three as Katoto strikes for the home team.

Mal Pugh is finally able to break the shutout in the 91st minute, but France shocks many by taking the victory over the #1 ranked team in the world.

Usually, Kelley would be upset with the team's loss, but not tonight, she feigns listening to the coaches' recap, nodding along as she instead counts down the minutes until she can be with Penny again.