The Leadup

The next day a group consisting of Kelley, Penny, Karen, Erin, Ellie, Jane and George all meet up for lunch. As expected, Erin and Ellie get along really well and spend most of the meal talking with each other, while the parents get to know each other better.

Kelley and Penny hold hands under the table watching their family members carry on like they don't exist at that moment.

"What are your plans while I'm away?"

"Just spend time with my family, maybe a few friends."

"You have friends?" Penny smacks her arm. "Ow!"

"I'm kidding I know you have a few friends outside of soccer."

"Only a few, unlike you ms popularity."

"Can't help it, have you seen me? C'mon I know I'm hot."

"Wow, conceited much?" Kelley winks at her, making both of them laugh.

"How would you feel about taking a few days after I get back from my games just for us? Like maybe get away from everyone?"

"What are you thinking?"

"Bikinis and water? It's been too long since I've hit the waves."

"How about you leave it with me and I will figure out what we are going to do."

"Okay." Penny smiles knowing that Kelley is clueless about the plans she has already made for them.

They rejoin the conversation with their family members, once it turns to them and their relationship.

"Penny, I'm curious what makes you different than the rest of the girls Kelley has been with? I mean that in a good way, of course, I've never seen her this happy with someone."

"Maybe the fact that they haven't slept together yet!

"Erin!"

"It's true we haven't slept together yet and I think that has allowed us to develop a better foundation for our relationship. We started off as friends and things have progressed from there. At the end of the day, Kel is my best friend and wherever this journey takes us I don't see that changing." Kelley leans in and kisses her cheek, causing the group to let out "awwwwss."

Penny looks and Kelley and smiles, mouthing "I love you," to her. Which Kelley responds back with "I love you too."

"So, Penny, England is going to be playing in the SheBelieves tourney, which means you and Kelley will be going against each other, who is coming out on top?"

"I would like to say England is, but the US is the number one team in the world. I hope it will be a close game, preferably with me playing and not watching from the sidelines! It's still a few months away, so a lot could happen in the meantime."

"Your parents and I were already discussing our plans to attend the tournament, hopefully, both you and Kelley get the start against each other and the better team on that day wins."

Soon afterwards Kelley needs to get back to the hotel for a video session before supper, so Penny and she leave their family members and head on their way.

"That went well."

"Yeah, the 'rents seem to all get along and judging by the fact that Ellie and Erin already exchange info I think they are good also."

"They are probably going to spend the rest of the time, sharing embarrassing stories about us."

"Won't take long on my end, remember I was a perfect child, where it sounds like you were a little hellion."