The New Norm

Two weeks later and Penny has started to settle in with her new team and teammates. After making the request, her and Jodie have been assigned as roommates for the balance of the season and both are happy with the arrangement.

After sitting on the bench and watching the Reign come away with a 1 – 0 victory over Portland the previous week, Penny is finally informed that she will be making her debut between the pipes against none other than the high scoring North Carolina Courage on their home turf, no less.

Leading up to the game, Penny makes sure to work extra hard in training and continues to show off the form that has seen her rise up to being the #1 back stopper for the Lionesses.

Laying on the hotel bed after returning from having breakfast on gameday, Penny is Facetiming with Kelley.

"Hey, beautiful."

"Hey, Kel, tough loss last night."

"Yeah, to concede a goal in extra time and end up losing wasn't good, but we only managed 8 shots the entire game and only one made it through to Kailen."

"You planning on watching our game today?"

"Of course! Wouldn't miss it! Wish I could be there in person for it."

"I wish you were here, too, but we both knew our schedules were going to be tight after the World Cup and we'll see each other when our teams play in a few weeks."

"You mean when we beat you in a few weeks."

Penny laughs, "I wouldn't be so sure about that Babe, we are starting to come on. What do you say about placing a friendly wager on the game?"

"Whatcha thinking, beautiful?"

"Loser buys dinner." She hears Kelley laugh.

"Bring your money, honey."

"I'll bring my money and more honey."

Kelley laughs, "Fuck, I love you and can't wait to have you back in my bed."

Penny laughs. "I love you too. Have you talked to Erin recently?"

"Yeah, they've decided to just have a small ceremony in my parents' back yard, have the reception at the club and then spend their money on a tropical honeymoon."

"I think it'll be perfect, Ellie gets the intimate ceremony she wants, Erin gets the family and friends she wants and they both get the honeymoon they want."

"And we also get to renew our views in front of those who matter the most to us."

"Does this mean I get a bigger ring? Or another proposal?"

Penny laughs at Kelley's reaction through the screen to the questions

"Do you want a bigger ring? Or another proposal?"

"No. My ring is perfect and your proposal was perfect; I'd never want to change any of that because they both came from your heart, Kel and I love you and your big heart."

"I love you, Penelope. Good luck today."

"Thanks, Kel, love you. Message you after the game."

As the final whistle blows the Courage come away with a 2 – 0 victory over Reign FC. Penny did her part, making 10 saves along the way, but in the end, they just couldn't keep up with the pace and finish of Williams, Debinha and company.

Penny hugs and shakes hands with the opposition, catching up with a few players on the Courage before heading over for post-game.

Back at the hotel, Penny sends Kelley a quick message before getting herself changed into comfies for the night.