On To The Semis

The next day Penny along with most of the Lionesses pack in the team room in front of the TV and watch the US and Spain game.

The game barely is underway when Maria Leon fouls Tobin Heath in the box. The referee points to the spot and Megan Rapinoe steps up. The purple-haired star makes no mistake in putting the US into the early lead.

Minutes later, Spain is able to capitalize when there is a miscommunication between Becky Sauerbrunn and Alyssa Naeher in the box and Hermoso seizes the opportunity to bulge the netting and level the score.

3 minutes after that Rose Lavelle feeds Rapinoe a pass in the box and Spanish keeper, Panos is forced to come up with a big save to keep the score level.

The teams play a high paced match, both creating their share of chances but neither finding the net. Spanish player Vicky Losada is hit in the eye area early on during the match and after receiving treatment she attempts to continue, however, the swelling around her eye area continues to increase and Spain are forced into making an early substitution.

In the 37th minute, Rapinoe is issued a yellow card after hitting Spanish player Corredera in the face.

The teams head into the half tied at one.

"Kelley is looking really good out there today, maybe your little phone sex session helped her." Penny buries her head as her teammates laugh at her expense.

"Scotty, remind me to ask for a different roommate next time. Maybe I should ask for Bronzey?"

"Why, you really want to watch her and Keira all over each other?"

"No, definitely not! Steph, there we go, good old reliable Steph."

"She usually gets her own room, being the Captain and all."

"Crap! Well, I'll figure out someone who isn't you!"

"Good luck with that, PB." Jill walks away from her laughing.

The second half of the game gets underway and the intensity and physicality level increases for both sides.

Rose Lavelle garners a scoring opportunity but manages to send it just over the crossbar. Then Spain comes back and just misses the far post.

Play goes back and forth and in the 71st minute, Lavelle is tripped up in the box. The play is reviewed and VAR deems it to be a foul and the US is awarded their second penalty kick in the game.

Megan Rapinoe steps up once again to take the kick. The whistle blows and the ball is fired on target, the Spanish keeper guesses the right direction this time but isn't able to get a hand on it before it hits the netting. The US takes a 2 – 1 lead.

The US escapes with the win over Spain and progress on to the Quarter Finals and a match up with the host nation, while England meets up with Norway in another Quarter Final.

As Kelley spends some time with her parents and Erin after the game, Penny is hanging out with Ellie, before she has to return to the States and her job.

"I really wish you didn't have to leave, El, it's been nice having you here with me."

"I can't stay any longer, I've already overstayed my vacation days and someone's got a wedding to pay for now."

"If we double up, then it's less. Think about it, El."

"I will. Have you looked at the brackets lately?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you and Kelley are on a collision course; if you guys both win your next games, you will meet up in the Semi-finals."