The piano

With a soft smile I opened the door and went inside, my memories of this room instantly returning.
A huge, black piano was standing in the middle of the room, its presence calming me a bit as I remembered which day was tomorrow: the first of June. My birthday.
I was never the fan of my own birthday since I usually forget it and no one remembers it, but it's something else when Nightmare is around.
Since my childhood I never celebrated Christmas, Birthday, Easter... Come to think of it, we never celebrated anything. My parents were assholes. They...
A knot appeared in my throat and I suppressed the edge to cry.
Calm down, Hero. They're not harming you anymore.
I swallowed hard and sat down on the stool in front of the piano. Maybe playing it a little bit will calm my nerves.
I took a deep breath and put my fingers on the keys, thinking about what song I could play.
An idea shot into my head and I smiled.
Faded.

I let my fingers play on their own, not thinking about anything at all.
After only a few moments I felt how my body calmed down completely and followed the music.
I didn't dare to sing tho. When I sang as a child, I was always laughed at. They said I wouldn't be able to sing at all, yet I was always the one who got the As' in Music.
Probably put of pure pity.
I didn't hear anything at all except the soothing music which took control of my heart, playing every note with such a dedication that I lost myself in every heartbeat of it.
The last notes came faster than expected and I let the song play out until I suddenly heard someone whisper: "Wow."
I yelled loudly and turned around in shock and surprise.
Nightmare was standing behind me, looking right into my eyes. It made me blush heavily.
How long has he been standing here for?!
"All the time, actually. I didn't know you were that amazing at playing a piano tho."
I crossed my arms slightly, still extremely shocked by the fact that he was listening to me playing it.
"It's perfect. I never heard anyone play the piano better than you!"
That sentence caught me off-guard and I gazed at him.
"Really? And you're not joking, are you?", I asked quietly, just making sure.
Nightmare nodded and smiled. "Yes. I'm not joking. It was amazing! Can you sing to it as well?"
I winced heavily and looked away. "I... I was told that I was really bad at singing..."
Nightmare patted my shoulder. "Will you do it anyway? Just for me?"
I took a deep breath and looked at the piano.
"Ok."
Once again I put my hands on the keys. Thinking about what I should play.
Maybe... Demons? I'm not sure... Those are the only lyrics I know completely... Screw it. I'll just do it.

I saw that Nightmare instantly recognized the song but I kept playing.
After a few moments I started singing:

"When the days are cold
And the cards are fold
And the saints we see
Are all made of gold.
When your dreams all fail
and the ones we hail
are the worst of all
and the blood's run stale.

I want to hide the truth,
I want to shelter you,
But with the beast inside
There's nowhere we can hide.
No matter what we breed,
we still are made of greed.
This is my kingdom, come.

When you feel my heat,
Look into my eyes.
It's where my demons hide,
Don't get too close,
It's dark inside.
It's where my demons hide,

When the curtain's call
Is the last of all.
When the light fades out
All the sinners crawl.
So they dug your grave
And the masquerade
Will come calling out
At the mess you've made.

Don't want to let you down,
But I am Hellbound.
Though this is all for you,
Don't want to hide the truth.
No matter what we breed,
We still are made of greed.
This is my kingdom, come.
This is my kingdom, come!

When you feel my heat,
Look into my eyes.
It's where my demons hide,
Don't get too close,
It's dark inside.
It's where my demons hide,

They say it's what you make,
I say it's up to fate.
It's woven in my soul,
I need to let you go.
Your eyes, they shine so bright,
I want to save that light.
I can't escape this now,
Unless you show me how!

When you feel my heat,
Look into my eyes.
It's where my demons hide,
It's where my demons hide!
Don't get too close,
It's dark inside!
It's where my demons hide,
It's where my demons hide~"

My voice faded out with the last tone and I pulled my hands away from the keys, burying my face in them. It was red like a goddamn tomato once again. Honestly, I didn't know if he likes it. And I also don't know if it even sounded good.
What if he doesn't like it? Maybe he will laugh or say something bad about it like the others always did... What should I do?! I shouldn't have sang in the first place!!!
I suddenly felt two strong, yet really gentle arms wrapped around my torso. "It was... Amazing."
My heart dropped slightly as I heard that sentence. But instantly raised again as he said: "I don't know what to say... I'm speechless. Honestly. I never heard a better voice than yours." A smile appeared on my lips and I removed my hands from my face. "Thank you.", I mumbled.
Nightmare sat down next to me, still hugging me. "Can you teach me how to play?", he asked with a muffled voice since his head is resting on my shoulder now.
My smile widened. "I'd love to."

Only one hour later I noticed that Nightmare fell asleep. His brown-black hair is falling over his closed eyes and make him seem like a cute little boy.
Even tho I knew the appearance is deceptive, knowing that he can be a real beast. If he has to, he would save or kill anyone. Probably kill anyone that harms me, but save everyone that helps me. He always puts me above him.
It's kind of him, yet it sometimes feels uncomfortable. I'm not that used to others affection.
I made myself not think about it any longer since that would throw me back to the memories of my parents.
On the other hand... Nightmare wouldn't notice anything now and everyone says it feels great to cry my heart out once...
But then again, Nightmares' way heavier than me. How am I supposed to bring him to bed?!
I stood up slowly and carefully to not wake him up. Then I gently wrapped my arms around his torso and started pulling him to our bedroom like he's a patient.
As we arrived there I pulled him onto the bed and tucked him in with a pathetic try to keep my breath down.
Damn, Nighty. Your a heavy demon... Even tho your not that heavy at all...
I softly kissed him on the forehead and left the room, looking back once more. Then I closed the bedroom door and teleported up to the roof.
The moon shun bright throughout the night, giving me a feeling of security and calmness.
The roof was my favorite place. I can see the forest from up here way better and if there's no fog, I can also see Notchs' castle in the distance, right in front of hills which look like they're made of Legos. Tiny Legos, probably placed by a young kid.
A small chuckle escaped my throat, but instantly died out.
I was never allowed to play with Legos in the first place. My parents said I was too stupid for that.
Damn, I hated those times. But I have to get over it.
Now or never.

______________
1371 words.