Love is a Disease (F)

(Keith's POV)

The Hanahaki Disease is an infection in which the victim coughs up flower petals when suffering from unrequited love. The infection can be removed through surgery, but the feelings disappear along with the flower.

I coughed once again, a blue rose petal fell from my mouth. I grabbed it out of the air and stuffed it into my pocket. I entered the dining hall and grabbed a plate of goo. I sat next to Lance at the table and start to eat. I could feel their eyes glaring at me. I tried to focus on something else but nothing worked. I eventually got up, threw away a large amount of goo left my plate, and headed to the training room. As I left the dining hall, I heard Allura say something to Shiro, who was across the table.

"Can't we just replace him? He left the team. It would have been better for everyone." My eyes welled with tears. After the door shut behind me, I ran as fast as I could to my room, coughing up a fistful of blue rose petals. When I got to my room, my legs collapsed underneath me. I fell to my knees crying.

I cried into my palms as I sat on the cold floor of my room. I coughed again and again, more and more bloodstained rose petals came out of my mouth, changing their color from a brilliant blue to a deep purple. I got to my feet and clumsily walked to the bathroom and vomited into the toilet. When I finally opened my eyes, there were hundreds of rose petals with bloodstains covering their ocean blue color.

"Keith?! Are you in here?" a voice called through the door. Shiro repeatedly knocked on the door. He sounded scared, so I opened the door and suppressed the urge to break into a coughing fit.

"Keith! You're here. Great. We're all meeting in the training room in a bit. C'mon" he said.

"Yeah, in a second" my voice sounded raspy from all the petals. It hurt to speak, breathe, run, train, etc. I broke into a coughing fit while Shiro was opening the door for us. His face quickly turned from smiling to concerned as four blue rose petals flew from my lips. I tried to grab them out of the air but I missed one and I fell to the ground, giving him enough time to figure out what was going on.

"K-Keith... i-is that a..." he struggled to form the words. My father had died from the same sickness years ago after our mother left us. Shiro from then on was determined to keep me from developing the disease.

"Y-Yeah..." I looked away, tears forming in my eyes. One slid down my cheek as I picked up the petal and threw it away. I sat down on my bed and placed my head in my hands.

"Blue? You love... Lance?" he asked, his voice full of concern. I hesitated but then nodded slowly, more tears falling from my eyes. Shiro sat down next to me and rubbed my back comfortingly.

"We can still get the flower removed... We can talk to Coran about the surgery right now on our way to the training room," he said getting up and rushing to the door. I grabbed his wrist and he looked at me in confusion.

"N-No p-please... I love him too much. I can't lose my feelings for him. Please don't make me remove it Shiro" I pleaded. It was true. I loved Lance far too much to give up. Shiro looked at me worryingly.

"OK... But if you tell Lance and he doesn't love you back, promise me you will have that flower removed. If not for me then to save yourself." I nodded slowly after a few ticks of silence.

"Alright then... I'll tell the team you don't feel good." I didn't look up from the ground. Shiro sighed then left my room. A coughed a few more times and one more petal flew from my mouth. I caught it and threw it away. I burst into tears and I sat back down on my bed.