Chapter 19

Tord couldn't sleep, was he mad at him? Did he do something wrong? Was he just tired of pretending to care about his well being?

Tord sighed and rubbed his eyes, rolling to his right.

He rolled right off the bed face first into the scratchy carpet. Tord turned towards his bed and saw something blue peeking from under his bed frame.

Tord didn't hesitate in snatching up the sweater and pulling it close.

"I thought he took you home."

He mumbled to the sweater in his chest. He buried his face in the fabric and inhaled. It still stank of sweat and coffee, with an undertone of something acidic and bitter, but Tord liked it. It was Tom's scent, it was familiar and comforting.

Tord sat up as his door opened and his mother stood in a nightgown in his doorway.

"Are you alright in here? I heard I bang."

"Fine mama, I just fell off the bed."

Trisha pursed her lips.

"If you say so dear, now you best get to bed. You've got school tomorrow."

Trisha closed the door gently and Tord got to his feet and climbed back into his bed.

Yet he felt something missing. He curled his fingers around Tom's sweater. He laid the sweater on the pillow beside his head and plopped his head on it. He turned to his side and snuggled into the hoodie covered pillow. He snaked his arms around the lower half of the pillow. Lulled by the smell of the sweater Tord felt his eyelids droop.

As he drifted from consciousness he mumbled, "G'night Tom."

Morning came with the blaring of Tord's alarm. He opened his eyes expecting to be once again entangled with a certain eyeless pineapple boy, but was met with merely a sweater doused in morning light.

Tord thought of stowing the sweater under his bed with the other secrets he hid in fear of shame, but it was too heavenly to put on the dirty, dusty floor. So Tord folded it and placed it tenderly in his bottom drawer.

Tord walked into the kitchen after changing to see his mother on the phone, her brow furrowed. He could already tell what the call was about. Tord put a bagel in the toaster and walked back to his room to throw together a bag of clothes and other necessities he would need for his stay at the base, which would undoubtedly occur today. Every two weeks since he was seven, he would be taken out to base to train with his father as the next candidate for leadership. It was awful, his mind buzzed with his worries as he opened a drawer to grab some clothes. His eyes fell on the blue piece of heaven at his feet, and crouched. Picking it up as though it would crumble in his hands he placed in the bottom of the bag. He stepped back as his mother called him from the kitchen.

He scurried back and grabbed his bagel, munching on it as his mother paced in front of him.

"It's that time again, he'll be stealing you away at sundown. You should pack."

"I just finished packing, mama."

Trisha's eyes softened.

"Let's get going, shall we?"

They walked out the door to the car.