Chapter 52

Tom looked at the time.

"Shit, I'm late."

Tom gave a quick wave and headed down the street to his work. Tom took off sprinting, leaving the group behind.

He opened the familiar coffee shop, smelling the scent of coffee and sugar. He had grown accustomed to it. Adam waved at him, a smile covering his face.

"Hey man."

"What is up!"

"The ceiling. Thought you'd know."

Adam gave a middle finger from the counter and continued to make the drinks for the paying customers. Tom headed into the back to put on his apron.

Once Tom had gotten into his clothing he went behind the counter to get to work with Adam. Adam was honestly a pretty funny guy, and he made work a hell of a lot better.

About halfway through the shift Tom heard a familiar voice. It was soft and seemed shaken, but Tom could recognize that voice anywhere. Adam covered the order, smiling at the horned boy a little more than Tom liked. Tord looked heavily uncomfortable, and even mad. Tom couldn't place why.

"If it isn't the boy who tripped me."

"You deserved it."

"Why?"
"For reasons unknown."

Eventually Tord had sat himself in the corner of the cafe, most likely getting lost in his own thoughts. And Tom let go of his jealousy, moving on to interact with Adam as he normally would. Business got slow, so the duo decided to throw marshmallows into each other's mouths from opposite sides of the counter. They had gotten better throughout Tom's time there, and now were trying to do tricks. They tried doing backflips off the counter and throwing it, throwing it under their leg, and punting it into each other's mouths. The backflips mainly ended in them slamming into the tiled floor.

Tord glanced at the boys routinely, staring down Adam. Though Tom totally didn't notice. Because he wasn't looking at Tord at all. Tom was curious as to why Tord was so interested in Adam. Did he like him? There was no way. He had only met Adam twice. And Tom doubted that Tord got crushes that quickly. Though it still unsettled his mind.

"Hey Tord!"

Tord looked up from his phone and gave a slight nod in Tom's direction.

"Wanna join us?"

Adam looked angry for a moment, but then agreed.

"Yeah man you should join us."

"Uh, sure."

Tord put his phone in his pocket and joined the boys behind the counter. Tom tossed a marshmallow at Tord, which he caught in his mouth.

"Nice."

"Thanks.... Can I try throwing?"

Tom nodded and threw the bag at Tord. Tord caught it and faced Adam.

"Think fast."

Tord launched the marshmallow, and it was moving faster than any of the original throws. Adam gave a quick glare at Tord before catching it.

"You'll have to do better than that to embarrass me."

Tord narrowed his eyes and pulled out another marshmallow, launching this one faster. Adam caught it again and gave a smirk towards Tord, which really pissed him off. Tom felt like this was a form of sexual tension, and felt increasingly jealous. Why was Tord paying so much attention to Adam and not him?

A couple minutes passed, the marshmallows now flying at insane velocities. Tom's shift was over and he really just wanted to leave. He didn't like what he was seeing. So while the two boys were focused on eachother Tom slipped out the back. He had only gotten a couple feet when he heard sporadic footsteps behind him.