Chapter 68

Tom felt uncomfortable at the table. He had decided to sit next to his Grandmother, and as a result he was in direct view of Trisha's stares. Granny was sizing the woman up, and seemed irritated. Tord was in front of Tom, across the table. And his boyfriend seemed oblivious to the tension rising between Trisha and Tom's family. Tom pulled at the collar of his navy colored sweater, suddenly feeling hot and uncomfortable.

"I don't think Granny here ever said who she was. Guys, meet Mrs. Laila. A literal angel."

Mrs. Gold was the first to welcome his guardian to the group, and Trisha soon followed. But the glare on Trisha's face seemed to contradict her words. The meal continued, odd chatter filled the room as the teens talked about anything they could think of. All while stuffing their faces. But the cold glares between Trisha and Mrs. Laila remained.

"Do you have a problem with me?" Mrs. Laila's voice was strong but quiet, and the room quickly went silent.

"What would imply that."

"Maybe the icy glares your eyes have been shooting at me since I walked in."

"It's less a you problem, and more a him problem." Trisha made a quick gesture towards Tom, and he felt his gut sink. Of course she hadn't forgiven him. He had hurt Tord. Did Tord agree with his mom? Was he staying with him out of pity?

"I think the real problem here is you."

Trisha's hands slammed down onto the table, causing everyone to jump slightly.

"What. Did. You. Say?"

"Can we all please just get along?" Mrs. Gold's voice was almost a whisper, but the room was so quiet that everyone heard it.

Trisha and Laila's voices soon overrode hers. And the room was filled with angry tones. Until finally Mrs. Gold left the room, only to come back and slam a platter of cookies on the table.

"How about everyone stuffs their mouth with cookies instead of horrid language!" Everyone in the room knew it was a command, and quickly obliged. They all quickly reached for a cookie, and the room grew silent again.

"How are the cookies."

Everyone was glad to change the subject. And happy chatter resumed throughout the night.

Overall Tom was rather tuned out, though. Instead he was staring at the boy in front of him. Whenever Tord started to look in his direction Tom quickly redirected his eyes, but his mind was thinking of the same subject.