Chapter 58

Tom was currently staring at his phone, trying to push down the fluffy feeling of his head into his stomach. It was making everything soft and light and he didn’t like it. Tord probably didn’t even mean to say ‘love you.’ Maybe he just wasn’t paying attention and thus accidentally sent that. They had only been dating for a bit. Tord couldn’t have fallen in love that quickly. Tom was going to ignore that, and just wish Tord a good morning before heading to school. So he shot a text the commies way and then headed out to his personal level of hell. 

The school was more crowded than he remembered, and although his hoodie increased his stealth stats he still felt too noticed. It may have been a result of the part, and him exclaiming how gay he was. Okay, that was definitely it. Tom had gotten the ‘bad boy’ rep at school for routinely coming to school with bruises and black eyes. Also he always looked high. Which means a number of girls were hoping to make him the next protagonist in their wattpad romance. He in no way fit his reputation. Tom loved reading, he used to love playing his guitar when he had one, and he now had an odd obsession with flowers--curse you Mrs. Laila. All those girls now looked at him with an odd glare of contempt and fascination. And a lot of them looked with hungry eyes as if they wanted to jump on him and paint his nails. So he quickly got through to his friend group, silently sinking down to sit while with them. 

Edd gave him a nod before continuing his argument with Matt over something stupid. And Tord was nowhere in sight. Tom really wanted to see Tord, he felt anxious and Tord was great at stifling that feeling. Tord didn’t come that morning. And he didn’t get any texts from him. That was odd. Tom was concerned for a moment, was Tord ignoring him? Impossible! He hadn’t done anything wrong. While he headed to work he shot Tord a text.

    Tom: You okay man?

He must have been busy ‘cause there was no response. So Tom went in to the cafe and changed into his apron. He then met Adam behind the counter. Adam immediately noticed something was wrong, and was continuously making sure Tom was okay. Tom simply shrugged off the questioning, continuing to drearly sprinkle rainbow sugar into a drink. 

“Dude, you are getting your depression into the drink.”

“Oh shit, sorry.”

“How out of it are you?”

“Out of what?”
“Life. What’s up with you. Did the horny bastard finally break your tiny heart?”

“You mean Tord? Nah, he’s just busy today.”
“This doesn’t seem like a good relationship if he’s too busy to even take care of you.”

“I’ll take what I can get.”

Adam looked like he was about to say something, and his cheeks reddened just a bit, but he seemed to swallow hard instead. 

“If you need anything just text me. I’ll be here for you.” Adam then mumbled “Unlike somebody I know.” And Tom barely caught it. He chose to ignore it and they continued to make drinks together, Adam fishing an occasional smile out of Tom. Whenever he did he made a loud “ha” sound and announced that he knew he was funny.

Tom finally headed out because his shift was over. He said goodbye to Adam and headed out to his house. But when he finally got there he felt like not going in. He didn’t want to be alone. And due to the current lack of a text from Tord he decided to just head over to Mrs. Lailas shop.