Chapter 28

"What's wrong Tom?"

"I'm just...." Tom was contemplating spilling everything. Tord clearly cared for him. If he didn't he wouldn't have hugged him. But was that a good enough reason to confide in him? It would just put stress on Tord, and most likely scare him away. "Just tired. Nothing is really wrong." He gave a half assed smile.

"I don't believe you in the slightest, but I won't push it."

"Thanks."

"You ready to shoot?"

"Yeah."

"This time you get to load and shoot on your own. I'll still be here to help but it's gonna be mainly you."

Tom nodded and they both silently got to filling the magazines. When they finished that Tord shot first, quickly emptying the magazines into the targets they had hung up. Tom started to love the smell of gunpowder and fire, a smell he now associated with Tord.

Tom found himself being more comfortable with a gun in his hand. His eyes no longer flinched at the sound, and his hands didn't shake from the recoil. He loved the power it gave him, seeing the shot rip through a target. Everything started to feel natural, and all that was missing was the warm feeling he got when Tord touched him.

Shells softly hit the concrete floor, letting off a soft ping methodically. Tom wanted to preserve that song forever. Preserve this moment forever. But he knew that wasn't possible.

They continued on for a bit, switching off between who was shooting what. Finally Tord brought out his M-16.

"You remember how to use this one."

"Not really." Tom actually remembered it in great detail. He didn't know why he lied.

"I can help you shoot until you remember again if you want?"

"Sounds good."

Tord came behind Tom, carefully touching his arms to move them in the right position. His touch never lingered for more than a second, and each time it went away Tom wanted to feel it again. Not that he would admit it. After a couple minutes of coaching Tom was shooting on his own. He focused all his energy on aiming and firing. The recoil drilled into his shoulder, and for some reason it calmed him. As if he was one with the gun. His body and the weapon moved together, beautifully and violently shooting bullets that ripped through the air and killed the silence.

Eventually they had emptied all the magazines and all the ammo was gone. They would have to call it a night. Tom didn't want to. He really didn't want to leave Tord. To be honest, he didn't ever want to be away from Tord. Tord was a very comforting presence, and a good friend.

Tord and Tom worked in silence, carefully packing up each of the guns. On several occasions their hands skimmed each other, not the Tom noticed. It definitely didn't bring heat to his cheeks. And it definitely didn't cause him to lose his mind. Because he never noticed it.

"Well, thanks for that."

"Anytime man."

"Still, thanks. I appreciate it. A lot."

Tord nodded, and walked backwards, keeping eye contact with Tom. A sudden urge filled Tom, and he couldn't place where it came from. This heat filled his body, tingling through it as his mind started to focus on only Tord. Right before Tord was about to turn around to leave Tom did something he never thought he'd do.

"Wait!"

Tord stopped moving. "What is i-" He was cut off by Tom quickly pulling him into a tight hug. Tord held him back. They stood there for a couple minutes, and Tom's face was glowing  with the color red. He finally pulled away and Tord let him go. He noticed a light pink on Tord's cheeks. And it was now his favorite color.

"Alright, well.... Night."

"Y-yeah. Sleep well."

Tom was about to head out, but then he stopped.

"What time do you have to be home by?"

"One?"

"What time is it?"

Tord picked his phone out of his pocket. The light shone up on his face, showing the clear pink hue that had spread across the boy's face. "12:17 am."

"Do you wanna hang out a bit longer?"

Tord nodded, but then looked down at his guns that were in a duffel bag in his hands.

"Where would we go?"

Tom realizing his concern, thought for a moment.

"Wanna hang out at where I am staying?"