Chapter 35

"Tord, to celebrate your victory, the base is going to throw a special dinner. You can bring one guest. They expect perfection on your behalf, so choose someone reliable."

Trisha's statement threw Tord's mind into array. If he could bring 3, then he could have brought the boys. If he brought Mina, well everyone would think it was a date, and that would be awkward. Plus Tord wasn't that close with Mina. His mind drifted to Tom.

Something felt right about that, sharing in his triumph with the man who held his mind at ease.

In the car Trisha set the time of dinner at 7.

The whole day Tord thought and thought. He tried to bring it up at lunch, but his voice betrayed him.

Finally Tord was at the final straw. He pulled out his phone in his 7th period and typed.

Tord: Hey Tom.

Tord: You busy tonight?

Tom: Well I've got my shift after school at Starbucks, but after that I should be free

Tord: Would you be willing to go to this fancy dinner celebration?

Tom: Sure why not.

Tord: ok, once your shift ends, head over to my house.

Once school let out Tord walked home, stepping in, his mother wore a dark vest-like over dress over a dark carmine colored shirt. He was soon to dress in a crimson shirt with a black suit overtop. Tord stood back and admired his work. He then thought of what Tom would wear. Tom likely didn't have anything nice enough to wear to this event so Tord began his search.