Chapter 29

Tord nodded. "Lead the way, Jehovah's Witness."

Tom frowned at the nickname but motioned for Tord to follow him towards town.

As they passed through the residential area to the rundown section of town, Tord moved to grip Tom's hand. This area always made him uneasy. It was filled with druggies, prostitutes, and murderers. It was also filled with memories of Tord going to the meeting place as a young child.

He tightened his grip on Tom's hand and took a shaky breath in through his mouth. He looked at Tom for some guidance. Tom's face was a burning scarlet. Red looked strange on the blue boy, but somehow felt right. Tom halted at a run down musty motel and took a key from his pocket, separating his hand from Tord's. Tord whimpered quietly at the absence of warmth and comfort he lacked without Tom's hand in his. As soon as Tom opened the door Tord took his hand again, not wanting to ever let go of it again.

They stepped inside, the room stunk of the bitter, acidic smell Tord remembered from Tom's sweater. Tom slipped his hand away from Tord's quickly. Tord could now pinpoint what the smell was.

Alcohol.

There was an empty bottle lying on the floor. Tord picked it up and sat on the bed. Knitting his eyebrows together figuring out why Tom would drink the foul liquid. He decided he'd get more answers from a primary source.

"So...."

Tom fidgeted with his fingers and sat beside Tord, eerily similar to how they did the night of the fall concert. Tord set down the bottle.

"Let's talk about this...."

Tord set the duffle bag gently on the floor and turned his attention to Tom.

Tom took a sharp inhale.

"I don't think you want to know, Tord."

Tord sighed and gave Tom a hug. "You don't have to tell if you're not comfortable, but know that I'm always here to listen. Mom too, we care about you Tom."

Tord leaned more into the hug, accidentally toppling the boys over onto their backs. Tord laughed, a rich and joyous sound exploding from his throat. Tord laid his head on To , still not breaking his hug.

"Um, can you get off of me?"

"Hmmm, le'me think." Tord went quiet for a moment and hugged Tom tighter, " Nope!"

Tord closed his eyes and smiled. The warmth of Tom was making him drowsy.