Coffin

SCARLET

The white roses were sprinkled across the room. They masked the smell of death and sorrow. I looked down at my brother, his neck covered with a satin purple scarf. It was the one I gave him for his birthday. Despite the covering, the black and blue bruises from the noose were still visible.

If I could change anything, I would show everyone his beautiful green eyes. We could have been twins, but I always felt his eyes were more beautiful than mine. I had a mudded sage green, while his sparked like emeralds. I didn't know if they were just like that, or of his happiness reflected through them. Mine just dulled because of my sorrow.

I reached my time limit on front of his body, not praying but admiring his gorgeous representation of his personality, even in death. I walked away, whispering a goodbye, and walking back to Andy. Since I was his sister, I was the first to get to see him. No one else that was from our family was invited. They didn't deserve to see him.

Andy sat down in a chair, leaving a space open for me. Being in the front row, people from his work, his fiancé's family, and just friends have their condolences. Andy placed his hand on my leg, comforting me through the black fabric.

I awkwardly rotated my feet on the heel of my boot, trying to hold back the tears. I knew there where a few people there who would be happy at my pain. Specifically, two of Tobi's acting 'friends.' Simply invited out of courtesy, the two girls hated me. Back when I lived in New York, Tobias had introduced them to me. He said that if they liked him, he had a stronger chance of landing the roll since they blew the writer.

I glanced up to see them sneering at me from the corner. 'How fucking classless do you have to be to treat someone like that?' I thought.

~~~

Throughout the rest of the wake, everyone was amazing. Expressing their sorrow to each other, things went over peacefully.

The funeral was the same, but less witnesses. Because Tobias was an atheist, as am I, we didn't have and sort of service. We simply buried him. James and I were both in tears, along with James's parents, Dean, and Riley.

After the last spec of dirt was laid over his casket, Riley come over to Andy and I.

"How you holdin' up babe?" She asked, resting her hand on my shoulder. My breathe shook as I tried to speak.

"I- I'm. I'm ok. I think."

"You're taking amazing care of my best friend, Andy. Thank you so much," she said quietly as she hugged him.

"Anything for this one."

Riley walked away, her beautiful brown locks bouncing.

"We have the rest of today in New York. The guys were going to go out for some drinks, do you want to head back to the hotel?" he asked.

"Yea. Sure."

~

When we walked through to door and into the room, I went directly to the bed. I was exhausted. Despite this, I felt like I was slowly moving forward. The complete and utter despair for the loss of my brother subsided and was replaced with the craving for justice.

Legal action was already being taken, with a team of professionals investigating the issue. They said that, if caught, my 'parents' you'll be facing jail time.

I opened my eyes to the ceiling and felt some movement at my feet. I looked down to see Andy pulling off my heels. "Thank you, baby."

"No problem, Scarlet. You look beautiful today," he said. I laughed and closed my eyes for another ten seconds before I sat up and began to take off all of my jewelry and clothing, leaving on my cotton bra and panties and the necklace Andy gave me. That never came off. Ever.