34. Forgive or Forget

After two years since Molly had arrived at Hilltop, it was time to ask for forgiveness from others and also from herself. She had beaten herself up so much for her relationship with Negan that it was changing her, but she just had to realise that she's only human and people make 'mistakes'. Was Negan a mistake?

I could tell that Tara didn't believe me when I swore to her that I didn't love him anymore.

I don't think I believed me either.

But it wasn't about me anymore or him, it was about Maggie.

She needed to know that Glenn had justice and Negan's happiness could never happen, which meant neither could mine.

Maggie and I had talked since Negan was locked up but she hadn't forgiven me, and I needed her forgiveness now more than ever.

I had planned to return to Alexandria soon and I needed to know she trusted me before I left.

I wouldn't see Negan at all when I came home and I needed Maggie to believe me.

'Hey, Maggie can we talk?' I said as I saw her walking out of the house.

She smiled at me and replied, 'yeah of course, the crops are looking great!' as she shielded her eyes from the sun.

I smiled and chuckled lightly.

'Yeah, well that's thanks to your great leadership! Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I'll be going back to Alexandria tomorrow', I said.

Her smile faded slowly now.

'Promise you'll come back one day, I have a question to ask you when you do' she said mysteriously.

She nodded looking down and added 'I'll miss you, so will Herschel. Be careful'.

I pulled her in for a hug and said 'don't worry, I'll be fine'.

'It's not you i'm worried about...' she said warningly.

'I won't go near him, I promise' I said as I started to walk away.

She sighed sadly and not being able to hold it in any longer.

I spun back around and asked softly 'do you hate me for what happened with-'.

'I could never hate you, you're my sister, my family. I want him dead, you know that. But, between us, there's nothing to forgive' she said smiling weakly.

I just nodded, feeling a weight lifted off my shoulders.

'I'll see you soon' I said as I waved back at her and little Herschel who came running out of the house to say goodbye.

I was sad to leave, a wave of anxiety flooded my body as I imagined being back at Alexandria.

Tara was gonna stay at Hilltop, she was helping Jesus and Maggie lead and she was practically made for that sort of thing.

It ran in our family.

I said my goodbyes to everyone, including Tara and told her to be careful and tell Cindy how she felt.

'Do what you have to do, but remember who he is and who he's always been' Tara whispered in my ear as she hugged me.

She practically predicted my thoughts, before I had even acknowledged them myself.

I nodded into the crook of her neck and wiped her tears.

As I walked to the gates, where Tara had brought my motorcycle round, I turned back to her and held my locket in my hands as she did the same.