48. The Past Is A Treacherous Journey

Molly finds that the presence of new people are involuntarily triggering old memories of her past, her childhood and perhaps make her dredge up old nightmares she would rather forget.

Daryl had told me about what had happened last night with Henry and the kid which was made worse by the news that Luke and Alden were missing.

They had asked to go with Connie and Magna to search for the whisperers when they were separated and ambushed.

Only Connie and Magna returned to Hilltop.

Daryl told me that we should question them, saying maybe they could've done it but I didn't believe it.

We hadn't known Connie and Magna long, but I could sense that they were good people.

He said that when he had asked Lydia about this, she wouldn't really talk and only gave small pieces of information about their group that wasn't even worth reporting on.

Of course we suspected that the whisperers had taken them, maybe even killed them so we needed Lydia now more than ever as leverage, should they attack us.

Tara had asked me to go down to the cell and speak to her because as much as she hated them for what they did to Jesus, she said that there was something light about the girl, almost like she was innocent in all this.

I told her that Daryl and I would listen in, knowing that Henry wanted to talk to her.

Maybe we could find out some information that she wouldn't tell us.

I still wasn't sure about her, but I did as Tara asked and went to the cell.

Daryl and I went down in the evening, just as the sun was setting and we sat next to each other on the step outside the cell, pressing our ears to the grate on the wall.

There was silence for a while until Henry first spoke.

'You said about your mom, where's your dad?' he asked quietly, like he knew we would be listening.

'He got bit, I didn't know that then but he was slowing us all down' she said coldly.

I looked at Daryl and frowned at this.

'Why am I even telling you this?' she asked scoffing.

'Beats the quiet, beats being alone' Henry answered nervously.

'Never been alone, my people travelled in groups with the dead' she said confidently.

I knew then that she lied about being the last one, even if her mom was still out there, there had to be more of them.

'Not gonna lie, walking around in dead people's skins is pretty messed up' Henry said chuckling.

'Thinking that a place like this won't fall, that's messed up' she bit back.

'Agree to disagree' Henry answered.

'Your dad's an asshole like mine' she spoke with annoyance.

'Daryl's not my dad, he's just here doing a favour for my mom' Henry said quietly.

Daryl looked down at this, I knew this hurt him.

'I thought you said your mom died' the kid asked.

'She's my second mom, not one you wanna mess with' Henry said proudly.

I smiled knowing how strong Carol was.

'Same as mine' the kid said quietly.

Daryl looked back up at me in realisation that the 'mom' the kid had spoke about may be more dangerous than we thought and what if there were many more like her?