Chapter 23

We got ourselves ready for the meeting with Edelgard. Dimitri was prepared for anything to happen. However, Dedue, Ashe, Felix, and Sylvain did not accompany us this time around. I knew Dimitri was capable of defending both of us, but they were some sort of reassurance. I got myself mentally prepared before heading onto the jet. Dimitri was right behind me. I got on and sat down. Dimitri sat across from me.

"Be prepared for anything, Y/N. Edelgard and Adrestian had just lost a war. She might be hostile or she might be docile. If anything goes wrong, remember," he took my hand and looked endearing into my eyes. "I'll be there to protect you."

"Thank you, Dimitri," I said. "But you shouldn't risk your life for me."

"I already did that," he said. "I came out alright."

I smiled, "Yeah. I guess you're right."

We landed in Adrestian and got off of the jet. Some of the people who were walking on the streets were cheering and clapping for Dimitri. Some of them were even yelling 'thank you' to him. He did free them from Ionius's reign and his terrible ways. Even if he did free them, he wasn't used to Adrestian being so nice and welcoming to someone who came from Faerghus. We walked towards the Black Eagles Manufacturing and headed inside. Edelgard was in the lobby waiting for us. Instead of holding her head high, like she did before, it was lowered to almost where her head was bowing to us.

"Please, follow me. I would like to get this over with, but I would like to talk about this."

"I am surprised you want to make a deal with us," Dimitri said.

"I do," she said. "You were the ones who freed Adrestian."

We walked onto the elevator and Dimitri placed himself between Edelgard and myself. If she was going to do anything, he wanted to take the brunt of it. The doors opened up and we walked towards the conference room. I sat down and Dimitri sat right next to Edelgard.

"Now, let's get this out of the way."

"What's the rush? We have more than enough time to talk about this," Dimitri said.

"Indeed we do," Edelgard said. She pulled out a piece of paper and slid it over to us. Dimitri looked at it first before handing it to me. I read it through. It was basically the deal we had proposed to her, but instead of them having their own freedom, she wanted the Blue Lions to become the Black Eagles Manufacturing branch building. I knew this wasn't going to go well with Dimitri since he offered her to keep her name and to do their own free will. He just wanted the imported taxes to go down and not be so strict on their exports as well.

"Well, any concerns."

"I have a few," Dimitri said and I handed him the paper back. "We offered you that you can have your own freedom. You can keep your name and what you want to do, but we wanted to lower the export and import taxes. We want to be there if you run low on an order. We want to be partners rather than one owning the other."

She nodded her head, "I see where you're coming from."

"So, we will sign the deal if you change that segment."

"I see, I see," she said.

I continued to watch her movements from there. She grabbed the document, changed it, but she reached down for something. I was ready for anything and so was Dimitri. He sat on the edge of his chair now. Edelgard brought out a sword and Dimitri brought out his lance. It was his lance he used when he was in his troops before they were ambushed. The tip of his lance reached her neck while her sword was a few inches away from his neck.

"So, I see you were prepared."

"I've been in a war, Edelgard. I am prepared for anything," Dimitri said.

"I don't think your little secretary is," she said and nodded towards me.

"Don't underestimate her," he said.

"Lower your weapon and we can discuss this as civilized people," I said, making my way around Dimitri.

"We already did discuss like civilized people. I am getting revenge."

"Revenge? Revenge for your father?"

"Yes. You almost killed him and now look where he is! He's behind bars!"

"Where he belongs!" Dimitri yelled. "He was a murderer and a criminal. He slaughtered people from Faerghus, Leicester, and his own flesh and blood! He killed so many people from Adrestian. Be grateful you weren't on the receiving end of his regime."

"My father would never do such a thing as kill his own daughter."

"He killed so many families and left so many children scarred and they now bear the weight of being orphans! He killed so many people and you're going to defend him?"

"He's my father!"

"He's a deranged man!"

Edelgard face constricted to make a pissed look. She yelled and kicked Dimitri's hand. The lance flew into the air and Edelgar seized the opening. She cut across the right side of Dimitri's chest. The cut looked like a cross as it bled through his suit. She kicked his stomach and he backed up. She stabbed him through the shoulder and the tip of the blade lodged into the wall. Dimitri was pissed now. I slowly made my way towards his lance. I picked it up and he looked over her shoulder and at me.

"You're going to pay for what you did to my father!" Edelgard said.

"You're going to be with him now," Dimitri said.

Edelgard looked behind and saw me charging right towards her. I drove the lance right into her stomach, but the lance tip punctured Dimitri's right side. Edelgard released her hold on her sword. Dimitri reached up and ripped the sword from the wall and his shoulder. He stumbled towards Edelgard and grabbed her by her throat.

"Edelgard, you are under arrest."

"Under arrest? What for?"

The door burst open and there were soldiers from the military. Byleth walked in and glared at her.

"For suspicion of making and releasing illegal weapons. As well as ordering an assault on Dimitri's troops. So you had a hand in this war and it is now tainted with blood."

Edelgard looked around and saw she was surrounded. Dimitri let go of Edelgard and walked behind her. He grabbed the end of his lance and ripped it from her stomach. She clutched her stomach and fell towards the ground. The soldiers grabbed her and took her to the nearest hospital. I helped Dimitri walk out of the building and towards the jet.