Chapter 26

"Dimitri, your father is on the news," I said and called him over. 

He ran to where I was and sat down next to me.

"As some of you may know, I have been running and watching after Faerghus for a really long time. It is time I extend the mantle to my son, Lambert Blaiddyd," Klaus said.

"Klaus is my grandfather?" Dimitri asked.

Lambert knelt down in front of Klaus. Klaus had placed something on Lambert's head. He stood up and thanked Klaus. Dimitri sat there, confused.

"Did you not know anything about your family tree?" I asked.

"I only knew a few things. I haven't dived too far into my family's history. I don't want to," he said.

"I understand," I said.

Dimitri grabbed the remote and turned off the TV.

"I'm going to head to bed," Dimitri said.

I stood up and hugged him, "Goodnight, Dimitri."

"Goodnight, Y/N," he said and kissed my cheek before heading towards his room.

Even though I have spent some time in his apartment, I still slept in the guest room. I just didn't feel like we were that far in the relationship yet. I know we did it back when we were at the military base, but he was just there to help calm me down if I woke up in the night. I turned off the lights and headed into the guest room. I closed the door slightly and laid down on the bed. 

I heard a scream in the middle of the night. I jolted awake and I threw the covers off. I ran out of my room and headed towards Dimitri's. I knocked on the door before walking in. He wasn't in his bed and the bedside lamp was turned on. 

"Dimitri?" I asked.

I turned and saw there was a dim light on in the bathroom. I walked towards the bathroom.

"Dimitri, if you're naked, I'll let you have a moment before I come in."

"You can come in," he said.

I walked in and saw he was sitting against the sink. His knees were tucked into his chest and his face was hidden. I walked towards him and sat next to him.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I-It's nothing," he said.

"Are you sure it's nothing," I said.

"Yeah."

"Dimitri," I said and rested my hand on his arm. He picked his head up and a tear was sliding down his face. 

"Ever since you found me after my troop was ambushed, I've been hearing voices. I've been having nightmares of what had happened. The voices were soft at first, but now they're louder and louder. I can't seem to calm them down. I try to drown them out with anything, but they're still there."

I could tell he was trying to hold back his tears. I believed him because I had some nightmares here and there about the war, but since I was a sniper, I didn't see the ugly and evil side of the war. I didn't witness the dead bodies in front of me. I reached over and took his hand and intertwined mine with his. I rested my head on his shoulder and he rested his head on mine.

"Survivor's guilt," I said. "You were the only one to come out of your troop alive. Leaving you with the guilt of being the only survivor."

"They all should of lived. They needed to return to their families and loved ones."

"You did all you could, Dimitri. To be honest, I don't know what I would do if you weren't here. I'd be lost without your guidance and I would have definitely suffered at the hands of Edelgard."

He had a small smile on his face, "My father always did tell me I had the strength of ten men. I really do."

"You did say you had Ionius in a tight choke hold."

"I did. I almost killed him because of that. That's why you don't see too many delicate and fragile things in here. I'd be afraid to break them."

"You're gentle with me, though."

"But you're not going to break if I hold onto you too tightly."

"I mean I might," I said.

"My point is, I don't know what to do, Y/N."

"You have me, Dimitri. You have your friends back at the company. You have so much good in your life. I don't want to see you like this. It hurts me to see you in such a mess. I know we have our ups and downs, but I want to see my happy Dimitri."

He smiled at me.

"There he is! It's about time he showed his handsome face."

He had a bigger smile now. He kissed my forehead, "Thank you, Y/N."

I hugged him, "I'm always going to be here, Dimitri. No matter what."

"I know you are."

I pulled away and he placed a hand on my cheek. I leaned towards him and he closed the gap. Our lips lightly met one another's. I pulled away, but he pulled me in for one more. This time, it was a bit more firm. 

"Can you stay with me for the rest of the night?" he asked.

I nodded, "Of course."

We got up and he turned off the light. I crawled into his bed and he turned off the bedside lamp. He got in and wrapped his arm around my waist. He pulled me closer to him. I buried my face in his chest.

"Goodnight, Dimitri," I said.

"Goodnight, my beloved."

I woke up in the morning to see Dimitri was sitting up. He looked like he was reading something on his phone. I sat up and leaned on his shoulder.

"Everything ok?" I asked.

"My father wants me there for the coronation," he said.

"He does?"

He nodded his head, "I want you to come with me."

"A-Am I even allowed to go with you?"

"I don't see why not. My father knows you. I don't think he would have a problem."

"Alright. What time does he want you there?"

"In about a couple hours."

"Looks like we better get ready," I said and kissed his cheek. I got up and walked over to the guest room to change.